+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

pregnant with PR visa

PR24

Feb 22, 2013
Hi,
I'm the primary holder and just got the PR Visa for me and spouse 4 days back. But i'm 8 weeks pregnant now with twins. I need to know if

1. Can I delivery the babies in Canada
2. If yes, will it be covered by Public / private insurance? and how long does it take to get insurance after landing.
3. If no, what will be the cost that i have to bear?

I'm confused. Pls let me know asap.

Rgds,
PR

Reactions: Countess

tahsinmohammad

Sep 1, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
Citizenship
PR24 said:
Hi,
I'm the primary holder and just got the PR Visa for me and spouse 4 days back. But i'm 8 weeks pregnant now with twins. I need to know if

2. If yes, will it be covered by Public / private insurance? and how long does it take to get insurance after landing.

Rgds,
PR

1. Yes you can deliver babies in Canada...
2. Starting of Health Coverage depends on every province as they are different rules of each province.Like in Ontario you have to wait for 3 months to start using the Ontario Health Card.You can apply for the Health card the day you land but it starts after waiting period of 3 months..I dont know about other provinces...You can also go for private insurance for this 3 months by paying monthly premiums....
3. I am not sure about the cost but I guess its around CAN $ 6000-1000 for normal delivery.If you land ASAP then you dont have to worry about the cost as your Insurance starts after 3 months and you have around 6-7 months time for delivery...

Good luck....

yy1gc

Nov 2, 2012
Madam, we had also faced this issue. My wife was also pregnant when we recieved our pr's. We decided to stay back and had to apply for our existing visa's to be re-issued as by addition of a new child the previous visa's became invalid. This process took a very long time of more than six months. If your doctor allows you to travel, then please do so and move to canada as soon as possible. You can give birth in canada and the child will get all the rights of a canadian citizen. Expenses depend upon which province you choose to land.

Smip86

Sep 23, 2011
India-Nagpur
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2012
Doc's Request.
Sent With Application
Nomination.....
PER Received on 29-03-2012
AOR Received.
27-04-2012
IELTS Request
7.5 Band Sent with Application
File Transfer...
27-04-2012
Med's Request
Received on 07-09-2012
Med's Done....
29-09-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Received on 07-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
DM on 30-11-2012
LANDED..........
Planning for SEP.13
Ms.PR,

Alberta (AB) covered Health Insurance rite from first day of entry.

It covers almost all expenses.

if u remains in home country for delivery than u may b in spoon becoze u r PR wl be invalid.

Regards
Smip86

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PR24 said:
Hi,

Rgds,
PR
I fully agree with the opinions of others.

As you are already with PR visa, it is the right time for you to move to Canada. I don't know where in Canada you are heading to and what is the expiry of your visa. Please note that if you don't travel before reaching the 8th month of your pregnancy, the air line may not allow you to fly. If you are planning to settle in a province with 3 months mandatory waiting period for health insurance coverage, you should land in there early considering their limitations and your condition.

It could be huge and un-affordable expense for a new immigrant , if she pay the cost of hospital charges for baby birth from her pocket. The charges may vary according to the case and hospital ranging between CAD 5000 to 10,000 and may exceed if there is any complication.

If you have the provincial health insurance coverage, you don't need to pay any dime towards the labor room procedure and medication given in the hospital. You are eligible for a shared room or ward in the hospital. Private rooms are not covered by provincial insurance. Any prescription medicine, if required to buy from outside, is to be paid by you.

RockinCanada

Feb 20, 2013
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
NVDO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sep 2009
AOR Received.
Nov 2009
Med's Request
March 2011
Med's Done....
March 2011
Interview........
July 23, 2010
Passport Req..
March 2011
VISA ISSUED...
May 2011
LANDED..........
July 2011
First of all, Congratulations!!!!

You should take health insurance for everyone who is coming to Canada for first 3 months at least (I am sure it does not cost that much), in case something happens, you do not have to worry about expenses. Secondly as your babies are not born, I am sure if you and your spouse take insurance, it would cover your babies as well. Please consult a good insurance company like TATA AIG, ICICI to name a few, explaning your situation.

In Ontario coverage starts after 90 days, so I am sure you are safe with regards to that as you have time till your babies are delivered, but since you would need to see doctors during these first 3 months as well, you should definitely take health insurance to cover your expenses to visit a doctor.

And yes it is rightly advised that you should not wait for your babies to be born in your home country as you will have to go through the process of applying for your babies' visa as well and your visas are going to be invalid. Consult your doctor, take insurance coverage and come to Canada - the best option.

Good luck to you.

Hope this helps.

PR24 said:
Hi,

Rgds,
PR

PR24

Feb 22, 2013
thanks a ton to all of you. I will be landing in Ontario and planning to travel during my second trimister. Could be early this May.

If i'm not covered under the insurance scheme, I may be forced to return back to home country(India) as I will not be able to bear the huge cost of delivery there in Canada.

Pl confirm if this waiting period is from date of landing in canada or from the PR card received date -this will give us clear idea as when to land in Canada.

await your response..

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

tahsinmohammad

Sep 1, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
Citizenship
PR24 said:
thanks a ton to all of you. I will be landing in Ontario and planning to travel during my second trimister. Could be early this May.

If i'm not covered under the insurance scheme, I may be forced to return back to home country(India) as I will not be able to bear the huge cost of delivery there in Canada.

Pl confirm if this waiting period is from date of landing in canada or from the PR card received date -this will give us clear idea as when to land in Canada.

await your response..

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

From the day you land physically in Canada.......

RockinCanada

Feb 20, 2013
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
NVDO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sep 2009
AOR Received.
Nov 2009
Med's Request
March 2011
Med's Done....
March 2011
Interview........
July 23, 2010
Passport Req..
March 2011
VISA ISSUED...
May 2011
LANDED..........
July 2011
The day you land in Canada. Until you get your PR card, your landing papers are your proof of residency.

I would suggest you take insurance from TATA. It costs Rs. 11000 approx per person for 3 months. Even if you were not pregnant, you should take it in case of emergency.

Let me know if you require any other information.

Regards,
Rockin

PR24 said:

await your response..

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

PR24

Feb 22, 2013
Hi thanks Rockin !!!

Pls confirm,will any of the insurance company pay claims againts maternity.if yes how much would cost in CAD..
However while starting from India we would be taking travel policy but that policy will not cover maternity.
Pls let us know....Thanks in advance!!!

RockinCanada

Feb 20, 2013
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
NVDO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sep 2009
AOR Received.
Nov 2009
Med's Request
March 2011
Med's Done....
March 2011
Interview........
July 23, 2010
Passport Req..
March 2011
VISA ISSUED...
May 2011
LANDED..........
July 2011
When you are saying this, i hope you have consulted with healthcare insurance providers already.

Generally thinking, when your healthcare starts here, your maternity costs should be covered. For the 90-day period, you have insurance and it is your health that needs coverage as babies are not born yet.

I can give you a few insurance providers' names and I encourage you to explain your situation to them and seek advice. I am not an insurance expert so I cannot confirm anything about their policies.

Punjab Insurance, Metlife, Bima4u, etc. A few more:

Allstate Insurance Company of Canada Canadian subsidiary of US parent company.
Assumption Life based in Moncton, NB, Assumption Mutual Life Insurance Company, doing business under the name Assumption Life, offers: life insurance, critical illness insurance, financial services and investment solutions, commercial and individual mortgage loans, group benefit plans, individual pension plans and more. This mutual life insurance company have been in business since 1903 and is recognized as one of the top places to work for in Atlantic Canada.
Aviva Canada Aviva Canada is the second largest Property & Casualty Insurer in Canada with a market share of 8.7% and Gross Written Premium (GWP) of $3.155B
BMO Insurance Part of BMO Financial Group.
The Co-operators: Largest Canadian-owned insurance business in Canada.
National Bank Insurance National Bank General Insurance is a Property & Casualty insurance firm that provides automobile and home insurance services directly to Quebec residents under the National Bank Insurance banner.
Desjardins Group Desjardins Financial Security Life Assurance Company is the life and health insurance arm of Desjardins Group.
Dominion of Canada General Insurance Company The Dominion of Canada General Insurance Company, commonly shortened to The Dominion, has been in operation since 1887. It was founded by Canada's first Prime Minister Sir John A. Macdonald. Not only is it one of Canada's oldest insurance companies, it is also one of the largest. It is the only company legally licenced to use the Canadian coat of arms in its logo and affiliated material. The company has offices across Canada and is headquartered in Toronto.
The Economical Insurance Group
Empire Life The Empire Life Insurance Company (Empire Life) offers a full range of financial products and services - including personal life insurance, critical illness coverage, investment options, group life and health benefits and group RSP plans. Head Office is located in Kingston, Ontario, Canada.
Equitable Life of Canada
FaithLife Financial
Federated Insurance Company of Canada Niche insurer specializing in property and casualty insurance for contractors, auto dealers, and equipment dealers.
Great American Insurance Company Niche property casualty insurer specializing in Inland Marine, Property, Employment Practices Liability and other products.
The Guarantee Company of North America Specializes in Government Procurement Insurance Products - Largest and Oldest Independent Canadian Owned Insurance Company been around since the 1800s with current ownership based in Montreal, Quebec. Controls the lion's share of insurance products procured through governmental business activities.
The Great-West Life Assurance Company is a life and health insurance company and was founded in 1891 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Great-West Life is currently owned by Great-West Lifeco, which is itself a joint-stock corporation traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX:GWO). Great-West Lifeco also owns the London Life Insurance Company, the Canada Life Assurance Company, and Great-West Life & Annuity Insurance Company and is the largest insurance provider in Canada. The majority owner of Great-West Lifeco is the Power Corporation of Canada who administer Great-West through the Power Financial Corporation.
Independent Order of Foresters
Industrial Alliance
Insurance Corporation of British Columbia
Intact Insurance Company of Canada is the largest Property and Casualty insurer in Canada. Purchased AXA's Canadian Business in June 2011
Knights of Columbus
belairdirect (Belair Insurance Company Inc.) providing complete car and home insurance solutions direct to the consumer in Quebec and Ontario.
Manulife Financial (Manufacturers Life Insurance Company) is a major Canadian insurance company and financial services provider. Although its global head office is located in Toronto, Ontario, Manulife has worldwide operations, most notably in the United States (through its subsidiary, John Hancock Insurance) and in 19 unique Asian countries and territories. Manulife Financial is the largest insurance company in Canada, the second largest in North America and the world's fifth largest, based on market capitalization.
Medipac Travel Insurance is the largest direct writer of Travel Insurance for Canadians that live the Snowbird (people) lifestyle. Medipac is partnered with Manulife Financial to provide insurance benefits and endorsed by the Canadian Snowbird Association and the Royal Canadian Legion.
Blue Cross
Missisquoi Insurance Company The Missisquoi Insurance Company is the oldest Canadian owned property and casualty insurance company, having been established in 1835 in the Eastern Townships region of Quebec. It is now part of The Economical Insurance Group.
National Life
RBC Insurance
Red River Mutual - operates in Manitoba & Saskatchewan, headquartered in Altona Manitoba
SSQ Financial Group
Standard Life is a major employer in Edinburgh, with 8,500 UK employees and over 12,000 worldwide. Standard Life plc acts as a holding company for the areas within Standard Life. Since demutualisation, the company structure is quite complex. Standard Life has in excess of seven million customers worldwide, with five million in the UK. Of these, 2.6 million are with profits members of the mutual.
State Farm
Sun Life Financial is a leading financial services organization in Canada known primarily as a life insurance company. Today, the company manages assets in excess of $350 billion and has more than 13,000 people on its payroll plus thousands of independent agents worldwide.
TD Meloche Monnex - part of TD Canada Trust
The Personal Insurance Company (The Personal) is a property and casualty (P&C) group insurance company that specializes in home insurance and auto insurance (formerly CIBC Insurance).
Transamerica Life Canada
Unity Life - formerly Toronto Mutual
Wawanesa Insurance
The Mutual Fire Insurance Company of British Columbia

PR24 said:
Hi thanks Rockin !!!

Pls confirm,will any of the insurance company pay claims againts maternity.if yes how much would cost in CAD..
However while starting from India we would be taking travel policy but that policy will not cover maternity.

RockinCanada

Feb 20, 2013
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
NVDO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sep 2009
AOR Received.
Nov 2009
Med's Request
March 2011
Med's Done....
March 2011
Interview........
July 23, 2010
Passport Req..
March 2011
VISA ISSUED...
May 2011
LANDED..........
July 2011
Empire life is another big insurance company here.

PR24 said:
Hi thanks Rockin !!!

khtoyon

Star Member
Oct 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-04-2010
Doc's Request.
19-07-2010 (give me 120 days for submission)
File Transfer...
25-07-2010
Med's Request
20-03-2014
Med's Done....
27-03-2014
Interview........
no need
Passport Req..
01-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
30-05-2014
LANDED..........
04-08-2014
Dear All,
I & my wife got the Canadian Immigrant Visa June 18, 2014. We want to move to Canada August 03, 2014.

My wife was pregnant, when we did the medical she was not in pregnant that's why visa office issue us visa. She is now in 03 month running and delivery date will be end of November 2014.

My questing is that, after reached in Canada Ontario in August, we need 03 months after Appling Health Card to get the free check up & free delivery.

If we don't get the Health Card before my wife delivery date, what I need to do that time, because I hear that, pregnancy delivery expenses is so high in Canada if any person don't have any Health Card.

So give me some advice as follows:

If there any Canadian govt. help, support regarding pregnant women
Or
Any organization give support do the pregnancy operation free, and other check up free
Or
Any hospital to give as installment basis payment.

Please give me advice me on that and give me some web link or organization / hospital name with phone number.

Need urgent help.

Thanks & regards.

pathania07

Star Member
Apr 17, 2013
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
better to go three month before from the delivery date after three month u will get medical care card . untill u can buy for her private health insurence . there is no other organization who provide free help /. only one way get private insurence.

Singh27

May 30, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New-Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-08-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with package
File Transfer...
29/11/2014
Med's Request
27/01/2015
Med's Done....
06/02/2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
8/06/2015
VISA ISSUED...
23/6/2015
LANDED..........
11/07/2015
hi Group,

As others in the group I am also in a situation.

We have applied for FSWP2014 and hv submitted our application to CIC last week only.
My wife is 4 months carrying and the expected date is in Dec.

People my question is if my application gets accepted and during the processing period of our visa my wife will have her delivery, what needs to be done to add the child to the application.??

folks please provide your suggestions