+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnant, PR applied, visa expiring - can I get OHIP

AbbieLea

Mar 22, 2018
Hi
Wondering if anybody can help as I am in the middle of a bit of a battle

UK citizen, been here almost 2 yrs. PR application is in, my husband got provincial nomination and we applied through EE - skilled worker
I am pregnant, my visa & healthcare expire in November and baby due March

My plan is to apply for BOWP very soon, I saw a lawyer who told me I cannot get OHIP on BOWP but I am reading conflicting information. I also just got my healthcare renewal through the mail and it actually states I should be eligible for renewal based purely on the fact I have applied for PR.
Again conflicting info on this online, a lot of people being declined when they get to the office

What can I do here? I am a high risk pregnancy and very concerned about the cost escalating

Does anybody have experience of this??

Thanks so much

Abbie

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There is no bridging option after IEC. I was under the impression the IEC had to have their own insurance? You would qualify to start he 3 month waiting period when you reached AIP but that will be after the birth. Not sure what kind of status your husband will have by the time of the birth but you could also be on the hook for your baby's costs if none of you are working.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just read your previous posts. Due to your pregnancy your application is on hold until you complete the medical. Both you and your husband are on IEC so the only way to work would be to get your employer to apply for an LMIA and then apply for a work permit.