+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnant Newcomer Quebec Pregnancy Healthcare without waiting period?

jorgenmunk1983

Star Member
Mar 4, 2019
Dear all,

My wife and I have applied for PR for Quebec and are hoping to relocate around March 2020.

We have found out this month that my wife is pregnant and although we are overjoyed it does (potentially) change the planning for our move to Canada.

As I see it, although Canada has a 3 month waiting period for healthcare for newcomers, it seems that this does not apply to pregnancy:

some healthcare services may be available free of charge to persons waiting for their coverage to take effect, for instance:

• services needed by victims of conjugal or domestic violence or of sexual assault
  • services related to pregnancy, child birth or termination of pregnancy
UNQUOTE
source: http://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrants-foreign-workers-students/health-insurance/Pages/healthcare-covered.aspx

As I read it, it seems quite straightforward, meaning that although we dont have regular healthcare for the 3 months, my wife will be eligable for any pregnancy related services.

My question:

- Has anyone here actually done this? Meaning arriving pregnant, and receiving pregnancy related services free of charge during the first 3 months?

Many thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Are you planning on remaining in Quebec for over 6 months? Have you secured a job there? Speak French? There are residency requirements to receive healthcare or you could be asked to pay back and services used if you move provinces.

jorgenmunk1983

Star Member
Mar 4, 2019
Hi Canuck, I'm sorry I should have been clearer.

Yes I speak fluent french and will be working there and will therefore stay at least 6 months (the first contract is for 9 months).

I can see that you post on most of the threads, so while I have you I will ask you an even harder one ;)

I am a Danish citizen, and according the the below page I will be able to get the healthcare insurance without the 3 months delay by virtue of a bilateral agreement between Denmark and Quebec. However as my wife is a Chinese national will she also be covered since she is my wife and we are arriving together? I am currently on hold to talk to the Quebec authorities, will post here if they tell me anything useful :)
http://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrants-foreign-workers-students/health-insurance/Pages/agreements-other-countries.aspx

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Canuck, I'm sorry I should have been clearer.

Yes I speak fluent french and will be working there and will therefore stay at least 6 months (the first contract is for 9 months).

I can see that you post on most of the threads, so while I have you I will ask you an even harder one ;)

I am a Danish citizen, and according the the below page I will be able to get the healthcare insurance without the 3 months delay by virtue of a bilateral agreement between Denmark and Quebec. However as my wife is a Chinese national will she also be covered since she is my wife and we are arriving together? I am currently on hold to talk to the Quebec authorities, will post here if they tell me anything useful :)
http://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrants-foreign-workers-students/health-insurance/Pages/agreements-other-countries.aspx
Yes pregnant women usually have access to maternity care and maternity care doesn’t fall into the 3 month wait period. Asking because if your spouse doesn’t speak French she will likely have difficulty finding employment unless she works in IT. She also won’t qualify for any maternity payment unless she has worked 600 hours in the year before halving a baby. It isn’t a ton of money but better than nothing. I love Canada but question the logic of leaving Denmark.

jorgenmunk1983

Star Member
Mar 4, 2019
Hi Canuck

Thanks, I just talked to the relevant authorities in Montreal and since Denmark has an agreement with Quebec, both my wife and I can have the 3 month waiting period waived as long as Denmark gives the OK. I talked to the Danish authorities earlier today and since my wife has a permanent residence permit and has lived here 6 years they are ok to give it.

Grass is always greener on the other side I suppose, but we have felt quite alienated and unwelcomed in Denmark which as many other countries in Europe are turning rather xenophobic. We realize that Canada may not be too far behind, but since my wife can get 1 year of maternity benefits with her from Denmark when we move we figured now was the time to try. Furthermore as an only child, Denmark does not allow us to bring her parents, which is why Canada became an option in the first place.

The plan is Montreal for at least a year and possibly Toronto afterwards, and start the application to bring her parents as soon as we land, since this seems to take around 2 years to get approval for.

Thanks again.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi Canuck

Thanks, I just talked to the relevant authorities in Montreal and since Denmark has an agreement with Quebec, both my wife and I can have the 3 month waiting period waived as long as Denmark gives the OK. I talked to the Danish authorities earlier today and since my wife has a permanent residence permit and has lived here 6 years they are ok to give it.

Grass is always greener on the other side I suppose, but we have felt quite alienated and unwelcomed in Denmark which as many other countries in Europe are turning rather xenophobic. We realize that Canada may not be too far behind, but since my wife can get 1 year of maternity benefits with her from Denmark when we move we figured now was the time to try. Furthermore as an only child, Denmark does not allow us to bring her parents, which is why Canada became an option in the first place.

The plan is Montreal for at least a year and possibly Toronto afterwards, and start the application to bring her parents as soon as we land, since this seems to take around 2 years to get approval for.

Thanks again.
I think you should do a little bit more research into bringing your spouse's parents , it's not that straightforward, nor is it that fast . You're looking at years to possibly sponsor and it's NOT guaranteed

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Canuck

Thanks again.
There is no guarantee that parents can move to Canada either. They can certainly try to visit. You could not apply to bring them to Canada right away as PR or through supervisa. Supervisa usually requires at least a year since you have to show that you have made the LICO amount in Canada to qualify. They usually require a NOA. There is a current way to bring parents to Canada but the demand far exceeds the supply of spots and the program is renewed on a year to year basis and the previous government either put the program on hold or severely limited applicants. Given the demands given our ageing population and the fact that healthcare is already at a breaking point there is no guarantee the program will continue especially at such large numbers. I guess you can always return to Denmark. Are you sure your wife can get maternity benefits if she doesn’t have the child in Denmark? Would certainly encourage you to move over 3 months before delivery because you have to find somewhere to live, get at least the basics furnishings for an apartment and baby, get into an OB which may take a few weeks, etc. In most areas in Montreal with a baby getting a car is usually best if you can afford one especially in the winter. Babies also arrive early on a regular basis or women can end up on bed rest and can’t fly.

jorgenmunk1983

Star Member
Mar 4, 2019
I think you should do a little bit more research into bringing your spouse's parents , it's not that straightforward, nor is it that fast . You're looking at years to possibly sponsor and it's NOT guaranteed
Thanks I had looked at the below but by spending a little more time I see yes that it is both limited and restricted
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5772-application-sponsor-parents-grandparents.html

regardless, the fact that there is a program at all versus Denmark having none at least means that there is a chance of getting them there one day. They are not retired yet so we are not in a rush and mindful of the fact that the application could take years.

jorgenmunk1983

Star Member
Mar 4, 2019
There is no guarantee that parents can move to Canada either. They can certainly try to visit. You could not apply to bring them to Canada right away as PR or through supervisa. Supervisa usually requires at least a year since you have to show that you have made the LICO amount in Canada to qualify. They usually require a NOA. There is a current way to bring parents to Canada but the demand far exceeds the supply of spots and the program is renewed on a year to year basis and the previous government either put the program on hold or severely limited applicants. Given the demands given our ageing population and the fact that healthcare is already at a breaking point there is no guarantee the program will continue especially at such large numbers. I guess you can always return to Denmark. Are you sure your wife can get maternity benefits if she doesn’t have the child in Denmark? Would certainly encourage you to move over 3 months before delivery because you have to find somewhere to live, get at least the basics furnishings for an apartment and baby, get into an OB which may take a few weeks, etc. In most areas in Montreal with a baby getting a car is usually best if you can afford one especially in the winter. Babies also arrive early on a regular basis or women can end up on bed rest and can’t fly.
Yes thankfully Denmark doesn't really care where you give birth, what matters is that you have qualified for the maternity benefits which requires a minimum of 1 years full employment within the last 3 years.

We would definitely prefer to move more than 3 months before delivery but we are at the mercy of the issuing of the Permanent Residence. It may end up coming so late that we will choose to stay in Denmark, we are trying to plan for different outcomes and will act accordingly.

Thanks for bringing up very valid points it is by no means and easy decision.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes thankfully Denmark doesn't really care where you give birth, what matters is that you have qualified for the maternity benefits which requires a minimum of 1 years full employment within the last 3 years.

We would definitely prefer to move more than 3 months before delivery but we are at the mercy of the issuing of the Permanent Residence. It may end up coming so late that we will choose to stay in Denmark, we are trying to plan for different outcomes and will act accordingly.

Thanks for bringing up very valid points it is by no means and easy decision.
Just want you to have realistic expectations since you seem to have placed a lot of emphasis on your in-laws being able to move to Canada. Unfortunately many are under the false impression that all parents can move to Canada.

wasiqjaved

Sep 15, 2007
Pregnancy in Quebec is covered within 3 months of waiting period. My wife went through it. Just make sure you have letter from RAMQ stating that you are in waiting period and your eligibility starting date is mentioned in there.

Reactions: jorgenmunk1983