+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnant husbands PR application denied

Lmason

Star Member
Oct 10, 2017
Hi everyone,
Sad day today finding out my husbands PR application was refused just short of 12 months since the day it was received from the VO in Rome. I am a Canadian citizen and I am pregnant and due May 10th. It was a surprise that they wouldn’t have refused it sooner so I could try to apply for a TRP now it’s too late and he’s not going to be here for the birth of our first child. He has a DUI from 2014 and dragged out in court until July 2016. When we first applied and he got his criminal records they said nothing and then when they expired (3 months) and we had to get more recently dated records, and the charge appeared. He has a conditional sentence due to it being a first time offence, and lost his license for two years from the end of the court proceedings in 2016. He didn’t hurt anybody, it was a random stop.
If we had seen that the charge was on the criminal records the first time around I wouldn’t have applied for the PR as it’s been a long process and cost a lot of money, that has lead nowhere.
He’s never been able to visit me in my home country, and I am not sure he will be able to visit Canada for another 6 years. I am unsure for the reason as they have not sent the correspondence by email I am assuming they sent it by email. I found out he was rejected by calling the CIC number and entering his application number.
Is it normal for an application to take 12 months to receive a refusal? Why would they request a medical check and have us wait this long for nothing.
I am very disappointed as I am now having to leave my country where I pay taxes, own property and have family to start a new life. I am very disappointed in the Canadian immigration system. In order to appeal I read I have 30 days and I still haven’t received the correspondence, thus the appeal process may not even be an option. The embassy hasn’t returned my emails, which isn’t much of a surprise. He applied Outland through the Rome visa office and I sponsored him in Canada.

Last edited:

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hi everyone,
Sad day today finding out my husbands PR application was refused just short of 12 months since the day it was received from the VO in Rome. I am a Canadian citizen and I am pregnant and due May 10th. It was a surprise that they wouldn’t have refused it sooner so I could try to apply for a TRP now it’s too late and he’s not going to be here for the birth of our first child. He’s never been able to visit me in my home country. I am unsure for the reason as they have not sent the correspondence by email I am assuming they sent it by email. I found out he was rejected by calling the CIC number and entering his application number.
Is it normal for an application to take 12 months to receive a refusal? Why would they request a medical check and have us wait this long for nothing.
I am very disappointed as I am now having to leave my country where I pay taxes, own property and have family to start a new life. I am very disappointed in the Canadian immigration system. In order to appeal I read I have 30 days and I still haven’t received the correspondence, thus the appeal process may not even be an option. The embassy hasn’t returned my emails, which isn’t much of a surprise.
How did he apply for PR? It's not clear from your post history.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,
Sad day today finding out my husbands PR application was refused just short of 12 months since the day it was received from the VO in Rome. I am a Canadian citizen and I am pregnant and due May 10th. It was a surprise that they wouldn’t have refused it sooner so I could try to apply for a TRP now it’s too late and he’s not going to be here for the birth of our first child. He’s never been able to visit me in my home country. I am unsure for the reason as they have not sent the correspondence by email I am assuming they sent it by email. I found out he was rejected by calling the CIC number and entering his application number.
I am very disappointed as I am now having to leave my country where I pay taxes, own property and have family to start a new life. I am very disappointed in the Canadian immigration system. In order to appeal I read I have 30 days and I still haven’t received the correspondence, thus the appeal process may not even be an option. The embassy hasn’t returned my emails, which isn’t much of a surprise. He applied Outland through the Rome visa office and I sponsored him in Canada.
Refusal was guaranteed since your husband has a DUI and doesn't qualify for rehab for a few years yet. It unfortunately didn't make sense to apply. His only option for entering Canada before then would be a TRP.

Reactions: bellaluna

Lmason

Star Member
Oct 10, 2017
Refusal was guaranteed since your husband has a DUI and doesn't qualify for rehab for a few years yet. It unfortunately didn't make sense to apply. His only option for entering Canada before then would be a TRP.
That’s what I should have done, this application was a waste of time and money. Unfortunately I had already applied when I realized it was not going to work in our situation. My lawyer advised I waited for a decision on the PR application before proceeding with a TRP application, so I have waited all this time. Now there’s no way a TRP application will be processed before my due date. I am just confused why they would drag this out for so long, instead of giving a refusal within a matter of months?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
That’s what I should have done, this application was a waste of time and money. Unfortunately I had already applied when I realized it was not going to work in our situation. My lawyer advised I waited for a decision on the PR application before proceeding with a TRP application, so I have waited all this time. Now there’s no way a TRP application will be processed before my due date. I am just confused why they would drag this out for so long, instead of giving a refusal within a matter of months?
It's because refusals aren't taken lightly. IRCC performs a thorough review (especially when H&C is requested) before finalizing the refusal. It's not at all unusual to see long processing times in these cases.

Charismahall

Apr 5, 2018
Hi Syclla,

So in other worda when one is waiting 1t months or more on HC application is more than likely going to ne refused.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Syclla,

So in other worda when one is waiting 1t months or more on HC application is more than likely going to ne refused.
No - that's not the case.

Charismahall

Apr 5, 2018
Thank you for responding. It just seems the long wait always results in refusal or most times do. I myself have been waiting a year plus. We just have to keep faith

Lmason

Star Member
Oct 10, 2017
It's because refusals aren't taken lightly. IRCC performs a thorough review (especially when H&C is requested) before finalizing the refusal. It's not at all unusual to see long processing times in these cases.
Update. Won appeal based on humanitarian and compassionate grounds October 30, 2019.

Reactions: csadangi and scylla