+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnant, Closed work permit, PNP candidate, applied in Canada

Patella L

Oct 25, 2018
I am 3 months pregnant and still waiting on an approved work permit with my employer who provided me with a job offer. I am living in Canada with my common law partner who is also on a work permit (IEC) right now .

I am also a PNP candidate based on this job offer. The contract is for two years, what if I have to leave for maternity leave within those two years. Will I still have to technically complete the work I would have owed them if I do leave for maternity next year (assuming we get our PR by the end of next year)

I had a valid work permit expired now so I’m on a visitor visa right now while waiting for my new work permit with the employer to come through which means I have been out of work and my employer and I are not sure if I can return to full time hours as promised on the job offer and might only have part time hours available ( he is new to this job offer, LMIA etc ) how will this affect everything ?

Please help I’ve been through a lot the last couple of weeks.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
To get paid maternity leave in Canada you have to have worked 600 hours. Mat leave payment is also only a fraction of your normal salary. Don't have answers to your other questions but not sure your employer will want to continue the LMIA if they are aware you are expecting.

Patella L

Oct 25, 2018
To get paid maternity leave in Canada you have to have worked 600 hours. Mat leave payment is also only a fraction of your normal salary. Don't have answers to your other questions but not sure your employer will want to continue the LMIA if they are aware you are expecting.

1.Does it count that I have worked in Canada under IEC for the last two years ? So maybe I am eligible for Mat leave.

2. And LMIA was approved already and I’ve already received my CWP. So if I tell my employer now about the pregnancy will this have a bad affect on my status?

3. Also have PNP so what are the chances I can still stay and maybe apply for OWP?

Thank you for getting back to me !!