+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnant as a temporary resident

CrazyPearl92

Mar 27, 2017
Hello,

hopefully ýou can help me ;D

As you can see in the subject, my question is about pregnancy, or better, about giving birth in Alberta within the valid status time and --> what's after birth/after temporary resident?

I know, that health care will pay the birth and so on, I checked it already before I got pregnant.
The dad has the permanent resident status, the Baby will be a canadian citizen and I am a temporary resident until November 2017 for now. The Baby does not change my status, I know.

What are ,,our" possibilitys for me, so that I can stay here for sure with the Baby, and of Course, with his dad? We are a couple and don't want to change that. We live together since beginning of Nov. last year now 8) But I recently noticed, that I could have issues in taking my Baby with me, IF there's no chance for me to stay here. I was some kind of shocked, when I rode, that the dad has to allow me, to take the Baby with me to my home country (Germany). I can't imagine, that he would take away my Baby, but... you know, we are not talking about a hamster or a bird :-X It's about my Baby.... and I want to make sure, that I have the possibility to make the decisions for me and my Baby.

The problem that I see is the time right now. It would be more save for me, to give birth in Germany, so that I have the ,,rights" to have my Baby with me. But the most airlines won't take pregnant women after the 7th month. I am in month 6 now and in the end, we want to be parents together for sure.

The result of my own research is, that we have to go with the common law immigration. But I don't really get it... does it mean, we have to marry? Or is there another way?

I didn't work here until know, because we live outside on a farm and I take care of the animals. So I am working, actually ... but not with a contract and I am not ,,earning" money that way.
We planned the Baby, but I don't feel comfortable with not having all the rights on my Baby. Do you understand that somehow? :-[

Oh... and he has a ,,company", he supported my temporary resident status that I have right know that way. But it's just a work&holiday visa. As far as I know it's not possible to extend it for me as a german citizen.
But even if it would be extenable, it would mean, that I can stay one more year.... and then everything starts again?

Hope to get some infos from you, how to handle the situation best right know.

CrazyPearl :D

katdanger

Star Member
Jul 13, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
São Paulo
App. Filed.......
08-11-2016
AOR Received.
24-11-2016
File Transfer...
02-12-2016
Med's Request
upfront; passed
Med's Done....
13-10-2016
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-06-2017
To stay you can apply for common law sponsorship - you don't have to get married but you do have to prove the common law relationship, which may be difficult (you have to be living together for at least 1 year).

Look through the CIC site if you're considering becoming a permanent resident: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp

CrazyPearl92

Mar 27, 2017
Thank you!

The link doesn't work right now, but I am sure it's my phone. Try it in the evening at my computer.

How do I have to ,,proof" that we are living together since 1 year?
I lived with him last year from April until August, but I was here as a Tourist first and I traveled a lot during the last summer. After 4 Month I went back to Germany for 3 month to cancel some contracts and sell my stuff. Then I came back at Nov. 7th and since then we are living together again.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
CrazyPearl92 said:
Thank you!

The link doesn't work right now, but I am sure it's my phone. Try it in the evening at my computer.

How do I have to ,,proof" that we are living together since 1 year?
I lived with him last year from April until August, but I was here as a Tourist first and I traveled a lot during the last summer. After 4 Month I went back to Germany for 3 month to cancel some contracts and sell my stuff. Then I came back at Nov. 7th and since then we are living together again.
You must live together for 1 year continuously to be considered common law. Based on the information you've provided, you won't be considered common law until November 7, 2017 (this is because you were living separately for three months when you returned to Germany). So you have a number of more months to wait before you'll be able to submit a common law sponsorship application. Yes - you will need to provide proof such as shared utility bills, leases, joint bank accounts, etc.

viva-c

Star Member
Jan 6, 2016
Toronto, ON
CrazyPearl92 said:
I know, that health care will pay the birth and so on, I checked it already before I got pregnant.
The dad has the permanent resident status, the Baby will be a canadian citizen and I am a temporary resident until November 2017 for now. The Baby does not change my status, I know.
Wow - Alberta's health care must be very generous. I know in Ontario, the birth is not covered if you do not have health care. Me and my husband have been extra careful not to get pregnant knowing that my prenatal care and the birth itself will not be covered until I get my PR and health care.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Just to answer the other concerns in the original post. The father will have parental rights regarding the baby. Unless you obtain a court order giving you sole custody, you will have to accept that these rights exist and that you will not have absolute control over what happens to the child. This includes not being allowed to remove the child from Canada without his consent or a court order.

nicmambo

Mar 25, 2017
I also have a canadian baby and had to leave because my visa expired. The father my common law partner is canadia citizien. My baby got the canadian passport to travel, me the european... nobody asked about the father... just make sure that the baby has your last name and you get the birth certificate with your name and the fathers name on it.
Wenn du noch mehr fragen hast, frag mich. Habe das alles durchgemacht. Wir sind immer noch zusammen und wollen nun für mich nun das permament resident beantragen...