Pregnancy while having work permit

XienXia

Apr 15, 2019
Philippines
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
Can anyone help me, i am 3 months pregnant and my work permit will expire on sept 2021. But i am having a sensitive pregnancy, will i be able to have maternity leave even if not working anymore?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Can anyone help me, i am 3 months pregnant and my work permit will expire on sept 2021. But i am having a sensitive pregnancy, will i be able to have maternity leave even if not working anymore?
If you're asking whether you will qualify for EI, it depends on whether you have the required hours.

XienXia

Apr 15, 2019
Philippines
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
If you're asking whether you will qualify for EI, it depends on whether you have the required hours.
Right now i am under ei for 2 mos now due to covid19, our employer decided to close the resto . But what if i will do ei until i give birth is that possible?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Right now i am under ei for 2 mos now due to covid19, our employer decided to close the resto . But what if i will do ei until i give birth is that possible?
No. Once your work opens, if you choose not to return, that disqualifies you from EI. Also, in order to qualify for the full maternity/parental EI, you would have to work another 600 hours between the end of your current EI claim and the birth. Otherwise, the start date of your maternity/parental leave is considered to be the start date of the current EI claim 2 months ago.

XienXia

Apr 15, 2019
Philippines
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
No. Once your work opens, if you choose not to return, that disqualifies you from EI. Also, in order to qualify for the full maternity/parental EI, you would have to work another 600 hours between the end of your current EI claim and the birth. Otherwise, the start date of your maternity/parental leave is considered to be the start date of the current EI claim 2 months ago.
Ok i got it. So as soon as the business opens again, i have to work in order to gain another 600 hours.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ok i got it. So as soon as the business opens again, i have to work in order to gain another 600 hours.
What kind of work permit do you have? Is it tied to your employer? If so if the restaurant closes you must go through the process of finding another employer who needs to get LMIA approval and you will need to get approved for another WP. That would take around 6 months at a minimum.