+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnancy while awaiting PPR

Ray9026

Oct 7, 2019
Hi,

I am a resident of Saudi Arabia and currently waiting for PPR. My husband is the principal applicant. We have gotten ourselves in quite a predicament at this stage.

Soon after submitting medical and biometric, we found out we’re pregnant. The expected due date is 13 March, 2020.

At the moment, our application timeline says PPR is expected at around 12 weeks, i.e, December 30th, 2019. I am not sure how accurate that timeline is though. Assuming that we get the PPR by end of December or early January, I’d like to get some sense of direction and advice about how we should proceed thereafter.

As of yet, we have not updated our profile with this new development. My first question is if we should inform Visa officer about the pregnancy after PPR or shall we wait till after CoPR?

Ideally, we‘d like to deliver in Canada to avoid the hassle and delay but moving while pregnant with uncertain healthcare situation is a tough call to make.

We would like to know beforehand how soon can we get the possible healthcare if we land in January 2020 and which province would be most suitable considering our situation? What are the pre requisites to healthcare and PR card?

If we choose to inform about the pregnancy after PPR and were to deliver in Saudi Arabia, will our application be put on hold or will we be asked to submit the child’s documentation after it’s born? In that case, how long does it take for the child to get PPR?

Any advice and suggestions would be highly appreciated!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I am a resident of Saudi Arabia and currently waiting for PPR. My husband is the principal applicant. We have gotten ourselves in quite a predicament at this stage.

Soon after submitting medical and biometric, we found out we’re pregnant. The expected due date is 13 March, 2020.

At the moment, our application timeline says PPR is expected at around 12 weeks, i.e, December 30th, 2019. I am not sure how accurate that timeline is though. Assuming that we get the PPR by end of December or early January, I’d like to get some sense of direction and advice about how we should proceed thereafter.

As of yet, we have not updated our profile with this new development. My first question is if we should inform Visa officer about the pregnancy after PPR or shall we wait till after CoPR?

Ideally, we‘d like to deliver in Canada to avoid the hassle and delay but moving while pregnant with uncertain healthcare situation is a tough call to make.

We would like to know beforehand how soon can we get the possible healthcare if we land in January 2020 and which province would be most suitable considering our situation? What are the pre requisites to healthcare and PR card?

If we choose to inform about the pregnancy after PPR and were to deliver in Saudi Arabia, will our application be put on hold or will we be asked to submit the child’s documentation after it’s born? In that case, how long does it take for the child to get PPR?

Where do you plan on settling. There are residency requirements when it comes to provincial healthcare so you can’t just arrive, give birth in one province and then move to another province in under 6 months,

Ray9026

Oct 7, 2019
Where do you plan on settling. There are residency requirements when it comes to provincial healthcare so you can’t just arrive, give birth in one province and then move to another province in under 6 months,
Yes we are aware of this. We plan on settling in Alberta.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No need to inform CIC about the pregnancy. There are no extensions of the COPR if you want to deliver in SA. Obviously it may be a bit rushed to find housing, a doctor, etc. the closer to delivery date you arrive. Babies come early all the time and after 36 weeks I would definitely be prepared for a baby to arrive at anytime. Not sure why you selected Alberta but the hoepfully tou have researched whether there are jobs available in your sector. Alberta has a more diversified economy than it previously had but there aren't a ton of opportunities in certain sectors and in many regions people are still recovery from the downturn of oil and gas and the unemployment rate for oil and gas workers is still high (or people have moved to other provinces).

Ray9026

Oct 7, 2019
No need to inform CIC about the pregnancy. There are no extensions of the COPR if you want to deliver in SA. Obviously it may be a bit rushed to find housing, a doctor, etc. the closer to delivery date you arrive. Babies come early all the time and after 36 weeks I would definitely be prepared for a baby to arrive at anytime. Not sure why you selected Alberta but the hoepfully tou have researched whether there are jobs available in your sector. Alberta has a more diversified economy than it previously had but there aren't a ton of opportunities in certain sectors and in many regions people are still recovery from the downturn of oil and gas and the unemployment rate for oil and gas workers is still high (or people have moved to other provinces).
Well, our first choice was to land in Toronto but since the pregnancy we are reconsidering the options. I believe healthcare card comes quicker in alberta or manitoba. So we are inclined towards it now.

Still not sire if thats the best course of action.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Well, our first choice was to land in Toronto but since the pregnancy we are reconsidering the options. I believe healthcare card comes quicker in alberta or manitoba. So we are inclined towards it now.

Still not sire if thats the best course of action.
Yes but you also need to settle there so if you don’t get a job and you rent a home it could cost you more to go to Alberta or Manitoba for over 6 months and pay to move again. Your priority should always be employment unless you have a lot of savings and are not worried about expenses.

Ray9026

Oct 7, 2019
Yes but you also need to settle there so if you don’t get a job and you rent a home it could cost you more to go to Alberta or Manitoba for over 6 months and pay to move again. Your priority should always be employment unless you have a lot of savings and are not worried about expenses.
I understand.

Well, in that case it seems like the safer thing would be to deliver in SA. Because other provinces take around 3 months to get you on healthcare if I am right. And the due date would just cut too close if we were to move before the baby comes.

My other question again is that if we get PPR in December and we go ahead and inform the VO - we wait for the child to be born so we can add the necessary documents into our application, or we go ahead for CoPR?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I understand.

Well, in that case it seems like the safer thing would be to deliver in SA. Because other provinces take around 3 months to get you on healthcare if I am right. And the due date would just cut too close if we were to move before the baby comes.

My other question again is that if we get PPR in December and we go ahead and inform the VO - we wait for the child to be born so we can add the necessary documents into our application, or we go ahead for CoPR?
Depends on when you have to land. There will be no extensions to wait for childbirth. The other option is a short landing then sponsoring the child later on.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I understand.

When did you do the medical?

If the child is born before COPR expiry, you can return the COPR/visa and add the child to the app.

Ray9026

Oct 7, 2019
Depends on when you have to land. There will be no extensions to wait for childbirth. The other option is a short landing then sponsoring the child later on.
Isn’t it mandatory for at least one of the parents to be residing in Canada for sponsoring the child? From what I understand TRV for the child won’t come easily either. It could mean a long period of separation since my husband does not plan to quit his job for good in SA until there’s a potential offer in Canada

Ray9026

Oct 7, 2019
When did you do the medical?

If the child is born before COPR expiry, you can return the COPR/visa and add the child to the app.
Ah, yes. That’s something I am considering to do now. Could you please elaborate as to how that can be done and the processing time of the child’s documentation?

We did the medical on May 28, 2019 and medical passed date on application says July 30, 2019.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Isn’t it mandatory for at least one of the parents to be residing in Canada for sponsoring the child? From what I understand TRV for the child won’t come easily either. It could mean a long period of separation since my husband does not plan to quit his job for good in SA until there’s a potential offer in Canada
Yes someone has to remain in Canada to sponsor. Getting a job in Canada while still employed in SA may be difficult unless he already has contacts. You have tough decisions to make. Either way you will likely be separated. If you want to give birth in Canada and receive health coverage you must remain in Canada for over 6 months.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ah, yes. That’s something I am considering to do now. Could you please elaborate as to how that can be done and the processing time of the child’s documentation?

We did the medical on May 28, 2019 and medical passed date on application says July 30, 2019.
So giving birth in SA and adding the child to your COPR makes the most sense. Getting employment opportunities from abroad is much harder than many people think unless he has specialized skills or skills that are in short supply in Canada like some IT positions.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Once the child is born, you send a Webform to update IRCC. They will direct you from there. Expect around 3-4 months additional time.

PuneSINP

May 15, 2017
Hi,