+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnancy , no OHIP coverage, best option.

DesertRoseKSA

Jan 4, 2021
Good morning all,

Got my golden email yesterday and I am excited. Please I really need advice. We sent our passports out yesterday and we are expecting it between end of December and second week of January because of the holidays and I have to give a month's notice at the office for resignation. The problem now is, we plan to land in Ontario in the first week of February, but my wife is pregnant and due for delivery in April. I was told Ontario health card takes effect after 3 months.

Please how do I manage this when the baby arrives with OHIP?

Please help!!!!!!

Hi Eso,

Were you able to sort this out in Ontario? I could take your advice if possible as I'm in similar situation though in early days. I'm 6 weeks pregnant and have planned to land in Toronto in Mid-Feb. I'm wondering how to have maternity routine checkups covered from Mid-Feb till OHIP kicks in after three months. I'm happy to take any insurance which covers maternity.

Any advice or inputs will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Eso,

Were you able to sort this out in Ontario? I could take your advice if possible as I'm in similar situation though in early days. I'm 6 weeks pregnant and have planned to land in Toronto in Mid-Feb. I'm wondering how to have maternity routine checkups covered from Mid-Feb till OHIP kicks in after three months. I'm happy to take any insurance which covers maternity.

Any advice or inputs will be highly appreciated. Thank you.
Due to covid there is currently no wait time for OHIP. It is unclear when the 3 month wait period will return. Would warn you that it may be more difficult to find a job if an employer knows you will be leaving soon and due to covid there isn't a lot of hiring going on. To qualify for maternity EI payments you will have to work 600 hours before giving birth.