+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnancy - Dependent visitor 5.5 months pregnant when travelling to Ontario

sayedsameer84

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
Hi,

I'll be flying on a Work permit to Ontario in Nov/Dec 2016 and my wife will be travelling with me as a dependent visitor. My work in Ontario is for atleast 2 years. My wife is currently 4.5 months pregnant and her due date is in March 2017. My question is: Will my wife's antenatal, pre-delivery, delivery and post-delivery costs be free? What is the criteria to be eligible for the same? Also, if I have to pay for the pregnancy related expenses, how much should I budget for? Lastly, where all do I have to register for the health/medical services?

Thanks in Advance.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
sayedsameer84 said:
Hi,

I'll be flying on a Work permit to Ontario in Nov/Dec 2016 and my wife will be travelling with me as a dependent visitor. My work in Ontario is for atleast 2 years. My wife is currently 4.5 months pregnant and her due date is in March 2017. My question is: Will my wife's antenatal, pre-delivery, delivery and post-delivery costs be free? What is the criteria to be eligible for the same? Also, if I have to pay for the pregnancy related expenses, how much should I budget for? Lastly, where all do I have to register for the health/medical services?

Thanks in Advance.
You are both eligible for OHIP, but note there is a 3 month waiting period after arriving in Ontario before either of you will be covered. During this waiting period you need to pay for everything out of pocket, including all your wife's pregnancy related costs and even the delivery if it happens during first 3 months.

In case she needs to deliver in a hospital during first 3 months, you should budget at least $10,000 for everything. May be cheaper, or if any complications it may be much more expensive.

You can try to contact local midwife offices in Toronto as they will provide pregnancy check-ups and even delivery for free or very cheap. However since midwives are in very high demand, you may find none are available for your wife since she is already far along in her pregnancy.

sayedsameer84

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
Thank you for your reply ROB_TO.

Can you please share details of any website / helpline number where I can reach out for the midwives in Toronto? Also, can I register for OHIP as soon as I land in Toronto, assuming that I will be in a temporary location - hotel / guest house / etc. during the initial couple of weeks?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
sayedsameer84 said:
Thank you for your reply ROB_TO.

Can you please share details of any website / helpline number where I can reach out for the midwives in Toronto? Also, can I register for OHIP as soon as I land in Toronto, assuming that I will be in a temporary location - hotel / guest house / etc. during the initial couple of weeks?
Midwife contact info is here. Although it's best to find specific midwife offices in your immediate area and call them directly. http://www.ontariomidwives.ca/

There is no point to register for OHIP as soon as you land, since it will take 3 months to become effective anyways. Also you will need some document that proves you're a resident in Ontario with a firm address. See here (2. Proof of Residency): http://settlement.org/ontario/health/ohip-and-health-insurance/health-ohip-card/what-documents-do-i-need-to-apply-for-a-health-card-ohip/