+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

preggy sister

andrea_08

May 27, 2010
hi I just want to ask about the status of my sister here in Alberta.. shes been working for almost 3 years as a skilled worker and now shes 8 weeks preganant her due date will be on jan 3rd and her work permit will expire on jan 19. 2011 My question is she eligible to file for her ei pension even her work permit will expire soon.... Is she can recieve any ei even her work permit expire already? what the best month she can file for her maternity leave... please can somebody give us feebdack about this... we will appreciated it. thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There was another person on here in a similar situation who said she was told by Service Canada that she would be able to change her status to visitor and collect EI maternity benefits and she also said that she talked to Alberta Health and they said she would keep her coverage. However, I can't vouch for this info. One person on here said that. Maybe it really is so, maybe she was given the wrong information, who knows.

Is your sister planning on applying for PR? She would be able to apply under CEC right now and would probably have her PR before giving birth. If she wants to stay in Canada, that would be the best way and there would be no doubt that she could collect EI, keep health care and not get kicked out.

andrea_08

May 27, 2010
thanks guys for information.... do you u think she is qualified now to apply for PR, hes been here for 2 years and 7 motnhs, and she work as a line cook.
PLease... Please can u give her some website that she can check the requirement for PR... thanks again

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A cook is a skilled job. She needs to have worked full time for 2 years or even if she's taken time off, as long as she has 1950 hours or more during this 2 years and 7 months, she is fine. She can apply under CEC. It's pretty much the fastest way to get PR. No points system, no complications. She can read about it at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/index.asp