+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pre existing condition- IEC visa in BC

Happy!!

Nov 10, 2016
Hi Everybody! I am currently in the process of getting ready to go to Canada now that I have my two year IEC visa which is great ! but I have a pre-existing condition- Epilepsy. I was wondering if when I arrive in Vancouver how long I would have to wait to see a doctor to get a presciption? I intend on bringing my meds with me but can only take a three month supply ! I assume I wont have to wait longer than three months (hopefully). Also does anyone know if you have epilepsy do you pay the full price for your meds or is some of it subsidised by insurance?

Any help would be much appreciated !

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Happy!! said:
Hi Everybody! I am currently in the process of getting ready to go to Canada now that I have my two year IEC visa which is great ! but I have a pre-existing condition- Epilepsy. I was wondering if when I arrive in Vancouver how long I would have to wait to see a doctor to get a presciption? I intend on bringing my meds with me but can only take a three month supply ! I assume I wont have to wait longer than three months (hopefully). Also does anyone know if you have epilepsy do you pay the full price for your meds or is some of it subsidised by insurance?

Any help would be much appreciated !

To enroll in BC MSP plan you need to be employed and working minimum of 18 hours per week. So how long you wait, may depend on how long it takes you to find a job. http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents/eligibility-and-enrolment/are-you-eligible/working-holiday-programs

MSP has a wait time of remainder of the month you arrived in BC, plus 2 additional months. So 3 months is the very maximum wait time. However in your case I'm not sure if they will count the wait time from when you arrived in BC, or from the day you secured a job. You can call MSP and ask or others may be able to advise.