+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pre Arrival Tips - Countdown has begun

rathia

Sep 15, 2015
Toronto
This list is applicable to those who have received the CoPR / PR Card and are ready to move permanently to Canada.

Congratulations for getting selected & finally taking this big decision of shifting to Canada. It is going to be tough and you are going to love it.

Following are the few pointers which I had used before moving to Canada and these pointers immensely helped me :-

(Assumption : Cost of living in Canada is more expensive than in your home country. Example : India, China etc.).

12 months to 8 months before arrival

1. Get Ready to Network

Canadian job market works primarily on networking. So start preparing your self to network once you reach Canada. Most of the professionals who land in Canada simply ignore this step. You cannot simply start networking once you reach here. Few of us are naturals in business networking & reaching out to unknown people. However, for majority of us, this is a road less traveled. If you don’t focus on honing this skill, you will find yourself wasting initial few crucial months in acclimatizing with this new way of job search.

(I found book : Never Eat Alone to be very useful in this scenario.)

Also, just reading these tips is not going to help, you need to move out of the comfort zone and start practicing those skills in real life.

2. LinkedIn

Building up a professional network on LinkedIn takes time and it’s a very good idea to start as early as possible. This should involve :-

• Updating your profile. (I found the articles on www.themuse.com very useful for this purpose)
  • Identifying the companies that you wish to target (Top 100 companies in Canada, Best GPTW Companies in Canada, etc.)
  • Identifying people in Canada who have a similar profile (LinkedIn Groups, Common Contacts, etc.)
  • Read the job descriptions to understand the requirements or Canadian job market
  • Connect with recruiters
6 months before arrival

1. Join a Pre Arrival Program

Register for the FREE pre-arrival program of any Canadian government authorized agency. Canadian Government provides grants to multiple agencies to conduct such programs that help immigrants to understand about the various aspects of job search & work culture. There are multiple agencies providing such programs. Their programs turned out to be very good. It consisted of high-quality online content (videos & tests) and usually 2 consultants are assigned to us :-

These programs guide us on the following parameters :-
  • How to prepare a Canadian resume, cover letter, elevator pitch, LinkedIn profile, behavioural interview answers in STAR format,
  • Overview of the job market for the relevant program that we had registered with (IT, Supply Chain, HR, etc.)
  • First consultant helped us in refining the resume & the LinkedIn profile
  • Second consultant acted as the employer liaison
There are regular interactive webinars (monthly plan shared in advanced), and communication about virtual job fairs & you will receive prompt responses from these consultants.

Such programs can be registered 6 months to 2 months before arrival. You will have to provide your CoPR or PR Card details as proof along with your Resume.

I had registered for the pre-arrival programs of ACCES EMPLOYMENT and it benefited me a lot.

There are programs also conducted by YMCA Canada and other agencies. You can visit their sites and connect with them via EMAIL for more details & the schedule.

2. Dental Treatment

Cosmetic dental treatment is very expensive in Canada viz-a-viz India unless its covered by your company’s insurance. So root canal treatment might be covered by insurance but you will have to pay for the crown that you need after root canal treatment.

3. Driving License Extract

Please get a Driving License Extract from local RTO office which will help you in fast tracking the process of receiving Canadian Driving License. For India, please check if your RTO office is listed on the Govt. of India website for online application.

https://parivahan.gov.in/sarathiservice8/dlServicesDet.do

4. Accommodation

If you don’t have any relative or good friend with whom you can stay for a few months then you need to finalize an accommodation. If you are arriving in Canada during spring or summer (April to Sept) then staying slightly far from public transport won’t be a problem. However, during winters it is advisable to stay close to public transport (especially subway).

I had booked Airbnb for the first 3 months period at 3 different locations using Indian credit card. Following were the reasons / benefits :-
  • Since accommodation is a major expense for the month, by paying in Indian Rupees we did not have to worry about carrying extra CAD.
  • By booking at 3 different locations, I got to meet 3 different hosts as well as other guests. This also helped me in increasing our network.
  • Since I booked Airbnb rooms where a common kitchen was available, I did not have to worry about utensils & furniture. This saved the initial cost on those items.
  • Renting an apartment / condo requires a credit check and possibly a job offer copy as well. So for the initial months, immigrants end to staying in basements. By booking Airbnb rooms I was able to stay in proper rooms with ample natural light and good facilities at a nominal cost.
5. Original Documents

Collect & keep originals of all the documents that you had submitted at the time of Express Entry Application (PCC, Proof of Funds, Experience Letter, ECA, I.E.L.T.S. Marksheets, etc.).

Please DO NOT FORGET to carry your “Confirmation of PR” document.

6. Photographs

Keep a few passport photographs as you might need those in Canada.

Along with “Confirmation of Permanent Residency” document you would have also received the instructions to carry specific type of photographs.

rathia

Sep 15, 2015
Toronto
3 months before arrival

1. Eventbrite.ca

There are a lot of formal networking events and informal meetups happening across Canada. A good way to create network is to register for these events and attend. Eventbrite is a good source to identify such opportunities. You need to start tracking this site on a regular basis.

In some events, The initial few signups are free and after that there is a fee. Tracking this site on a regular basis ensures that you can register for such events for free.

2. International Travel Adapter & Power Strip

Carrying two adapters and power strip can turn out to be a wise decision. In case one of those fails, you will still be able to use the electronic items (purchased in Asia) easily. It is hard to find these at a nominal cost in Canada.

3. Mobile Phone Compatibility

Check the compatibility of your mobile and confirm that the Canada SIM Cards will work with that mobile. You must have a tri-band or quad-band GSM phone, or 3Gphone supporting 1900Mhz to be compatible. Canada GSM uses 850/1900 MHz , UMTS/HSDPA 850/1900Mhz, LTE 1700/2600, AWS 1700/2100 frequencies.

4. Spectacles & Sun Glasses

It is a better option to carry an extra pair of spectacles. It is advisable to wear sun glasses in Canada even though you might not be wearing the same regularly in your home country. If you have to wear spectacles also then you can either purchase :-

• Power Sunglasses
  • Flip-on spectacles (I found these to be more comfortable, convenient & cost effective)
5. Forex Card / Cash / DD etc.

You will be able to open your bank account in Canada within first 2 days of arrival if you have all required documents with you.

Normally, the focus is on purchasing CASH or a FOREX Card 1 month before the foreign travel. However, in this case, since you will be carrying a large amount, it is advisable to not delay this activity to the last month. Instead, start tracking the CAD Forex Rates and purchase CAD in multiple slots.
  • It is better to purchase a FOREX card which can be reloaded online. (Ifound that IndusInd Bank was providing the best conversion rates and there was no requirement of opening a bank account).
  • Once your bank account is created, you can withdraw the cash from your FOREX Card using a Canadian Bank ATM and deposit in your bank account on the same day. You will incur the Bank ATM Charges and FOREX Card withdraw charges (Approx CAD 10 per use). Your total cash withdrawing limit will be dependent on the ATM limit.
  • You can even purchase CASH or DD or Travellers Cheque. Please ensure that you deposit this amount in your Canadian personal bank account as soon as possible.
The sooner you start using your Canadian Bank Account & Canadian Credit / Debit Card for your transactions, the faster your credit history will get built. This will help you in the long run. Please DO NOT delay this activity.

6. Luggage

The excess baggage rules for travel to US / Canada from few countries is very different. According to these rules, free check-in luggage is calculated on piece basis. Example : From India to Canada, 2 pieces of luggage of 23 kgs is allowed for each adult. For every piece of luggage that exceed even by 1 kg (until 32 kgs) you will be charged CAD 110 for that piece. So you might have to purchase large trolleys in advance.
  • 2 pieces of 23 kgs or less : No excess baggage fees
  • 1 piece of 23 kg and 1 piece weighing between 23.1 kg & 32 kg : CAD 110
  • 2 pieces of luggage weighing between 23.1 kg and 32 kg : CAD 220
7. Culture & Country Details

You should start reading about Canada :-
  • Culture
  • History
  • Games
  • State of Various Industries
  • Political situation in Provinces & Federal Government
You can start off with Wikipedia, CIA Fact Files and start reading news on Reuters Canada, https://www.cbc.ca, https://globalnews.ca, etc. This will help you in holding a conversation during any networking event.

You can also find the details in the following ebook present on Government Site :-

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/pub/welcome.pdf

8. Apply for Volunteering Opportunities

There are a lot of events happening in Canada and every event requires volunteers. You can register as a volunteer for a event by contacting the organizers via EMAIL. Details of the events will be available on Eventbrite and the contact details will be available on the event’s website. Volunteering for such conferences etc. will help you in gaining local experience and aid in building your network. Every good event will have a limit to the number of volunteers that they wish to hire. Hence, applying early & getting selected will help you to hit the ground running as soon as you land in Canada.

1 month before arrival

1. International Roaming

Check whether the international roaming is activated on your mobile number. In case of Vodafone and Airtel, the incoming facility is activated by default. This ensure that you receive the SMS & missed calls while you are outside India. However, you might incur hefty charges in case you answer the call. Jio Prepaid does not get auto-activated for international roaming. You will have to recharge for a certain amount to do that for a fixed duration. Without international roaming, you will not receive any incoming messages or missed calls.

2. Spices

Some of us do not prefer the packed spices available in departmental stores. We bring spices from our hometown. This point is applicable for those individuals.

If you are reaching Greater Toronto Area then majority of your food related requirements (including spices) can be handled by visiting Mississauga & Brampton. However, please note that you will mainly find packaged spices. So please plan to create packets of

3. Plastic Sealing Clips

These are light weight and are very useful in the initial few days when you are still settling down in Canada and do not want to purchase all the boxes for storing grocery items.

4. Medicine Kit with Prescription

Please carry your regular medicines as per the doctor guidelines since you won’t be able to purchase those immediately after reaching to Canada. Please ensure that you carry valid prescription along with these medicines.

5. Essential Utensils

Please identify basic essential utensils which you will need to carry along with you. (We had carried cooker, tadka pan along with us since purchasing those items in Canada would have been very expensive).

6. Applying for Jobs

You can even start applying for jobs once you are sure about your landing date. Some recruiters / companies would be happy to interview you even before you land. Technology can help in arranging a video interview. If everything works in your favor, you will get a job offer even before you land. However, please ensure that you disclose the fact in your application that you have not yet arrived in Canada and can mention your landing date as well. They might take 1–2 rounds of interviews on call and might prefer a in-person interview right after you land before rolling out a job offer to you.

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/pub/workbook-national.pdf

7. Resume Prints

Please carry few prints of your resume which you can use during the initial few days. The employment agency offices do provide limited free printing services to job seekers. You can also take help of your friends / family members in Canada for this purpose at a later stage.

8. Profile Cards

These are business cards which have been customized. The company designation & details are removed and instead a short summary of your profile / skills is added. These profile cards can be given during networking events. These will be having your EMAIL ID. Once you get the phone number after reaching Canada, you can write those down by hand.

9. Medical Insurance

If you are going to stay in ONTARIO province, you will need to take medical insurance for first 90 days. OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Program) gets initiated 90 days from your landing date. It is better to take insurance from a Canadian Insurance Agency.

10. Meetup.com

Register on www.meetup.com, identify and apply to become part of relevant groups. Every group will be having different meeting schedule. You can start attending these meetings which will also help you in building your network and meeting like minded people.

11. 10,000 Coffees (https://www.tenthousandcoffees.com)

There is a higher probability of finding individuals on who would be interested in meeting or a call on TenThousandCoffees than on LinkedIn. You can register on this website and identify few individuals and arrange for a coffee chat(or a call) 1–2 days after you land in Canada.

12. LunchIn™

LunchIn (https://lunchintra.net) is another such organization which organizes regular weekly lunches for networking purpose. You reach at the defined time and location and meet people during lunch (you pay for your own lunch). You can register on the site and connect with the LunchIn™ Ambassador of the city in which you would be staying for the schedule.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Congratulations for being so well prepared. Always so shocking to me when people are so focused with securing immigrationthat they haven’t done any research about living in Canada, whether their skills are needed, whether they can get licensed in Canada, cost of living, etc. Many have been told that they should immigrate to Australia or Canada but don’t actually know why or what to expect. Many arrive having unrealistic expectations.

rbgattibar

May 18, 2019
Hello ,, can you please answer anyone?
I am in Canada and my wife is in India
So how can I send passport for Permanent residence stamping?
Should we send individually from different countries or I have to bring her passport and send it from Canada both together?

rathia

Sep 15, 2015
Toronto
Congratulations for being so well prepared. Always so shocking to me when people are so focused with securing immigrationthat they haven’t done any research about living in Canada, whether their skills are needed, whether they can get licensed in Canada, cost of living, etc. Many have been told that they should immigrate to Australia or Canada but don’t actually know why or what to expect. Many arrive having unrealistic expectations.
I agree with you. Getting a PR is just the first step. There is a lot to be done to ensure that the efforts that you put in for securing that PR and taking that big leap of faith to come to Canada is successful. Even I have come across people who immigrated to Canada 4-5 months back and have not heard about Eventbrite or Meetup.

Although they changed the country, they didn't change their way of applying for various jobs.

rathia

Sep 15, 2015
Toronto
Hello ,, can you please answer anyone?
I am in Canada and my wife is in India
So how can I send passport for Permanent residence stamping?
Should we send individually from different countries or I have to bring her passport and send it from Canada both together?
Has the embassy asked you to send the passports separately or together ? The answer lies in that communication itself.

Noramoda

Star Member
Oct 14, 2018
I agree with you. Getting a PR is just the first step. There is a lot to be done to ensure that the efforts that you put in for securing that PR and taking that big leap of faith to come to Canada is successful. Even I have come across people who immigrated to Canada 4-5 months back and have not heard about Eventbrite or Meetup.

Although they changed the country, they didn't change their way of applying for various jobs.
Hi have you been able to successfully secure a job through any of these sites ?
By the way, that's a wonderful post, very helpful. Some great efforts there

rathia

Sep 15, 2015
Toronto
Hi have you been able to successfully secure a job through any of these sites ?
By the way, that's a wonderful post, very helpful. Some great efforts there
I got my first job via LinkedIn as I had started following a lot of recruiters before landing.

adityagupta88

Star Member
May 21, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
2171, 1112, 2174
AOR Received.
05-12-1988
File Transfer...