+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pre arrival letter and decision made

Aug 20, 2020
For your reference : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/new-life-canada/pre-arrival-services/eligibility.html
It means you passed the Eligibility stage. It looks like an approval in principal (AIP). You have to pass other stages (Securiry, Medical) . Good luck!
On the IRCC website, this is what it says about the AIP:

Your application is “approved in principle (AIP)” if:
  • you have received a letter from IRCC stating that you meet the permanent residence eligibility requirements, but
  • you still have to pass the medical, security and background checks for you and, if needed, your family members.
What other permanent residence eligibility requirements are there, if medical, security and background check are still to be passed?

Aug 20, 2020
Yes that's correct - though in rare cases applications could still be held up/refused due to medical/criminal inadmissibility.
Thanks. I assume it would be too much to expect the passport request letter to be issued, until the medical and background is fully completed and passed?

jackhcd

Star Member
Nov 21, 2016
Category........
CEC
Thanks. I assume it would be too much to expect the passport request letter to be issued, until the medical and background is fully completed and passed?
Yes, though you may get a sense of how things go based on GCKey and eCAS. Once your medical is cleared it'll be reflected on your GCKey as "Medical Passed on XXX Date". The background check status will remain the same ("we are processing your BG check etc") until the issuance of COPR, and this is typically the last and most lengthy stage. Eventually your application will be reflected as "Decision Made" on eCAS, followed by a passport request within a month.

Aug 20, 2020
Yes, though you may get a sense of how things go based on GCKey and eCAS. Once your medical is cleared it'll be reflected on your GCKey as "Medical Passed on XXX Date". The background check status will remain the same ("we are processing your BG check etc") until the issuance of COPR, and this is typically the last and most lengthy stage. Eventually your application will be reflected as "Decision Made" on eCAS, followed by a passport request within a month.
Thanks, this helps to understand the process better.
It would be nice if the IRCC would initiate the background checks at an earlier stage so that it could run concurrently with the other steps and not keep it for the very end, since it is typically the most lengthy stage.

Reactions: jackhcd

murdan94

Nov 11, 2019
Hi everyone my husband submitte dhis passport 10 days ago and IRCC is processing it does anyone have any idea how long it might take for him to get his passport back ?

Aug 20, 2020
Hi everyone my husband submitte dhis passport 10 days ago and IRCC is processing it does anyone have any idea how long it might take for him to get his passport back ?
I'm not an expert but reading the posts on this blog it looks like it takes about 2 weeks on average.

Can you share how long it took in your case from filing the sponsorship application to receiving the passport letter?

murdan94

Nov 11, 2019
I'm not an expert but reading the posts on this blog it looks like it takes about 2 weeks on average.

Can you share how long it took in your case from filing the sponsorship application to receiving the passport letter?
I hope it only takes two weeks,
We applied in june 2019

and he got PPR in march 2020 but due to covid he was not able to submit his passport So he submitted it 10 days ago as soon as the embassy and VFSreopned

Sarahkaswer

Star Member
Jul 1, 2020
Hello friends,
The cic received my sponsorship application on June 2019
They start process it on August 2019
Medical exam done on 4th of September 2019
Biometric done 4th of September
After year and one month
On July 1st, 2020got the pre arrival letter
And before 2 weeks I got the Decision Made on ECAS

my question is:who can tell me what will happen next ?

murdan94

Nov 11, 2019
Hello friends,
The cic received my sponsorship application on June 2019
They start process it on August 2019
Medical exam done on 4th of September 2019
Biometric done 4th of September
After year and one month
On July 1st got the pre arrival letter
And before 2 weeks I got the Decision Made on ECAS

my question is:who can tell me what will happen next ?
You will get passport request next

Reactions: Sarahkaswer

risingstar111

Star Member
Nov 26, 2019
hi all

did anyone else here get pre arrival before medical? I'm a bit confused because my timelines is a little different than most.
I got pre arrival in late April and I've recently done my medical exam which was received.
Do you think I am being ambitious by expecting DM/PPR this coming week?

Thanks for your input

1988rajinder

Nov 22, 2018
hi all

did anyone else here get pre arrival before medical? I'm a bit confused because my timelines is a little different than most.
I got pre arrival in late April and I've recently done my medical exam which was received.
Do you think I am being ambitious by expecting DM/PPR this coming week?

Thanks for your input
Yes i recently got pre arrival letter but my medical is yet to come ..do you know what is the significance of pre arrival letter ..though im already in Canada fir last 6 and half years.. does it indicate any step is or section of your application has been approved..its been now 17 months i have lodged my application and its still in process..dont know the significance of pre arrival letter i got recently..let me know if any one can explain

risingstar111

Star Member
Nov 26, 2019
Yes i recently got pre arrival letter but my medical is yet to come ..do you know what is the significance of pre arrival letter ..though im already in Canada fir last 6 and half years.. does it indicate any step is or section of your application has been approved..its been now 17 months i have lodged my application and its still in process..dont know the significance of pre arrival letter i got recently..let me know if any one can explain
Hi

Usually it means that you passed the eligibility assessment and on-completion of background check