+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Vacohara

Star Member
Oct 21, 2017
151
6
I became a permanent resident in October 2022 and have about 1,360 days physically in Canada, so residency isn't an issue. My problem is taxes. I work remotely from Canada for a Dubai-based company on an informal, no-contract basis, earning about $3,500/month. Basically the guy has $9000 job that he's asked me to work for him. It works cause i work from home, at my pace and t my time. Instead of being paid to me directly, the salary went to my parents' account in India, and then to my sister, who sends me about $1,500/month. Dad has a home and land loan that can be paid off with the help of our uncle who is CA. I haven't filed Canadian returns reporting this income. I now realise I'm probably required to report my full worldwide income as a Canadian tax resident.

PS: I may get schooling on being honest about money returns and I promise once my home/land loan is paid off I'll happily do the needful. For now please just give me helpful adivce
 
I became a permanent resident in October 2022 and have about 1,360 days physically in Canada, so residency isn't an issue. My problem is taxes. I work remotely from Canada for a Dubai-based company on an informal, no-contract basis, earning about $3,500/month. Basically the guy has $9000 job that he's asked me to work for him. It works cause i work from home, at my pace and t my time. Instead of being paid to me directly, the salary went to my parents' account in India, and then to my sister, who sends me about $1,500/month. Dad has a home and land loan that can be paid off with the help of our uncle who is CA. I haven't filed Canadian returns reporting this income. I now realise I'm probably required to report my full worldwide income as a Canadian tax resident.

PS: I may get schooling on being honest about money returns and I promise once my home/land loan is paid off I'll happily do the needful. For now please just give me helpful adivce

You are committing tax fraud which is a crime. Nobody is thrilled about paying taxes and most would prefer to pay off debts before they pay their taxes but it is illegal to lie about your income and to evade taxes. If you want the benefits that come with living in Canada and want to become a citizen you can’t lie about your income. If you want to work for a UAE employer tax free then you could easily move to the UAE or another country with no income taxes. Tax evasion could lead to you losing PR and/or ruin your chances of ever becoming a Canadian citizen. You have also involved your family in criminal activity. You were clearly aware that you were doing wrong and evading taxes given your payment agreement with your employer and your agreement with your sister and parents to transfer funds back to you in Canada. Your only option is to file your taxes with your genuine income and pay taxes if owed on your income. If you get away with just declaring your actual income since you started this arrangement and filing your genuine taxes and are then able to secure citizenship I would consider myself lucky. If you continue to commit tax evasion then you put your status in Canada at risk forever because it would have been obtained based on misrepresenting your income/work history and also put your family’s chances of ever coming to Canada at risk as well. Your bank account should show monthly transfers and without any declared income or job you could easily be asked where the transfers are from and how you are supporting yourself in Canada. Get a second or third job if you want to be able to repay debts but without committing a crime at the same time.
 
I became a permanent resident in October 2022 and have about 1,360 days physically in Canada, so residency isn't an issue. My problem is taxes. I work remotely from Canada for a Dubai-based company on an informal, no-contract basis, earning about $3,500/month. Basically the guy has $9000 job that he's asked me to work for him. It works cause i work from home, at my pace and t my time. Instead of being paid to me directly, the salary went to my parents' account in India, and then to my sister, who sends me about $1,500/month. Dad has a home and land loan that can be paid off with the help of our uncle who is CA. I haven't filed Canadian returns reporting this income. I now realise I'm probably required to report my full worldwide income as a Canadian tax resident.

PS: I may get schooling on being honest about money returns and I promise once my home/land loan is paid off I'll happily do the needful. For now please just give me helpful adivce
It could be a serious CRA compliance issue. However, I wouldn't automatically call it “CRA fraud” without knowing all the facts. The important thing now is to stop the non-reporting from continuing and get advice from a Canadian tax professional, particularly someone experienced with unreported income and the CRA Voluntary Disclosures Program. The way the payments were routed through family members doesn't necessarily change who earned the income. You should also keep all the original records bank transfers, messages with the Dubai company, payment arrangements and any other evidence—and be completely truthful with the tax professional.
 
You're asking the right question, and wanting to fix this before the citizenship application is exactly the right instinct.

As a Canadian tax resident, you report your worldwide income no matter where it was paid or whose account it passed through. The family-account routing doesn't change what you owe — it just makes the paper trail harder to follow, which is all the more reason to get ahead of this yourself.

Here's what matters most: CRA's Voluntary Disclosures Program. If you come forward on your own — before CRA contacts you or starts any review — they will generally waive the penalties and reduce the interest, with no prosecution. Once they come to you first, that option is gone. So timing really matters here.

What I'd do in your shoes:

1. Reconstruct every year since you became a PR (October 2022, so tax years 2022 through 2025). Gather anything showing the amounts — messages, transfer records, bank statements.
2. File the missing returns reporting the full income. The informal, no-contract setup doesn't matter to CRA; they tax the income, not the paperwork.
3. Submit a VDP application (Form RC199 — you can do it through CRA My Account) to get penalty and interest relief on what you owe.
4. Going forward, get the arrangement documented and keep clean records of what you earn and receive.
5. One more form to check: if money held for you outside Canada added up to more than $100,000 in cost at any point in a year, you may also need to file a T1135 foreign property form.

On citizenship: IRCC asks about your tax filing on the application, and they can verify it with CRA — you need to have filed for at least 3 of the 5 years before you apply. An unresolved tax mess is the last thing you want sitting there when you submit. Fix the taxes first, then apply with a clean file.