+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR vs Citizenship Obligations

omarnene

Sep 9, 2017
Hello
I landed into Canada on 1st June 2017 and stayed there for 2 months, and the left back to my home country, I am planning to stay in my home country for almost 3 years for some personal issues then I will return to Canada, this means that I will return to Canada after 3 years of my first landing, and will remain 2 years in my PR card.

My question is, will be fine if I stay 3 years after my return to Canada to get the Canadian citizenship? or
I have to stay 2 years and renew my PR then the 5 years will reset again and I have to stay another 3 years to get the citizenship?

I appreciate your advice.

Best Regards

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Canadian citizenship is based on physical presence in Canada where you need to show physical presence of 3 years in the 5 years preceeding the application.

So the answer is you need to stay 3 years physically in Canada from the date you return given looking back 5 years you will not have any physical presence credit before mid 2020 if you stay away in that period. Earliest you could apply then assuming a mid 2020 return would be mid 2023

Note for the residency obligation you say return after 3 years away , you need to return before 3 years away to meet the residency obligation in the 5 years from date of landing. Granted you have 2 months credit so only need 22 months but it is advisable to have some buffer to minimise extra scrutiny when renewing a PR card or even later when applying for citizenship.

Finally for the residency obligation the PR card expiry is irrelevant, it is the date of landing that is important.

Reactions: omarnene

omarnene

Sep 9, 2017
Canadian citizenship is based on physical presence in Canada where you need to show physical presence of 3 years in the 5 years preceeding the application.

So the answer is you need to stay 3 years physically in Canada from the date you return given looking back 5 years you will not have any physical presence credit before mid 2020 if you stay away in that period. Earliest you could apply then assuming a mid 2020 return would be mid 2023

Note for the residency obligation you say return after 3 years away , you need to return before 3 years away to meet the residency obligation in the 5 years from date of landing. Granted you have 2 months credit so only need 22 months but it is advisable to have some buffer to minimise extra scrutiny when renewing a PR card or even later when applying for citizenship.

Finally for the residency obligation the PR card expiry is irrelevant, it is the date of landing that is important.
Thank you very much for your detailed answer
What if I don't meet the residency obligation, let's say I return after 3 years and half or after 4 years, what are the consequences?

Thank you for your advice
Best Regards

StonicStone

Jan 5, 2017
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
03-03-2017
Med's Done....
22-02-2017 (Passed: 20-04-2017)
You are very likely to be flagged for failing to meet RO upon re-entering Canada. However you will still be allowed to enter Canada.
If you do not appeal within 30 days, your PR is almost certain to be revoked.

Reactions: omarnene

omarnene

Sep 9, 2017
You are very likely to be flagged for failing to meet RO upon re-entering Canada. However you will still be allowed to enter Canada.
If you do not appeal within 30 days, your PR is almost certain to be revoked.
Thank you for your reply
And if my PR is revoked, then can I remain 3 years in Canada and apply for citizenship directly?

Best Regards

ajithj

May 1, 2015
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2017-Mar
AOR Received.
2017-Mar
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
2017-Mar
Passport Req..
2017-May
LANDED..........
2017-Jun
Thank you for your reply
And if my PR is revoked, then can I remain 3 years in Canada and apply for citizenship directly?

Best Regards
You will be deported if you do not leave Canada after your PR is revoked.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thank you for your reply

Best Regards
If you are no longer a PR once your PR has been revoked you cannot apply for citizenship until you apply for PR again from the beginning and then accumulate the physical presence again in Canada.

lossada

Sep 5, 2017
Hello
I landed into Canada on 1st June 2017 and stayed there for 2 months, and the left back to my home country, I am planning to stay in my home country for almost 3 years for some personal issues then I will return to Canada, this means that I will return to Canada after 3 years of my first landing, and will remain 2 years in my PR card.

My question is, will be fine if I stay 3 years after my return to Canada to get the Canadian citizenship? or
I have to stay 2 years and renew my PR then the 5 years will reset again and I have to stay another 3 years to get the citizenship?

I appreciate your advice.

Best Regards
PR means "live" in Canada