+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Validity and sponsorship

anky24

Sep 19, 2020
I got my PR card in May 2019. If I plan to move to Canada in 2021, will I still be able to enter using my card and renew my PR at the end of 5 years ?
Also, if my move in date is delayed by few months i.e. by 2022, will my PR still be valid ?

Also, can if i plan to sponsor my wife for PR by 2022, and if in case my PR gets expired, can she sponsor me back using her PR ?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
The residency obligation is based on the date you first landed not when your PR card was issued.

Other can comment as well but assuming for now 5/2019 and you spent no time since in the country then you need to be in Canada by Apr/may 2022 after which you would need to stay put for a minimum of 2 years before you tried to renew your PR card.

So sure provided you move back to Canada before the 3 years from landing you could submit an application to sponsor your wife given if you stay put you could still meet the residency obligation. You would need to be in Canada to send the application so could be apart fro upto 12 months unless your wife ether visa exempt or can obtain a TRV which is a challenge when a PR sponorship is in process

PR cards expire but PR status never expires and can only be renounced or revoked so should you try coming back once 3 years away has passed there is always a chance of having status revoked. If the latter happened then sure your wife could sponsor you if she qualifies independently for PR but again she would need to be in Canada and possible you could be apart for some time during the process

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
PR must remain in Canada for the duration of the spousal sponsorship. A short vacation of 2-3 weeks is overlooked.