+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR .UNPAID DEBT IN CANADA

AahG0187

Oct 9, 2019
Hi..I left Canada in 2016 because of not having an eligibility to apply for a PR back then. I had some unpaid debts at that time which I was trying to pay off but couldn't continue to pay as I moved back to India. I just checked my credit score and my debt with interest has gone up to $16400. I have received my ITA and wanted to know if this debt would affect my PR application ?
I have proof of funds worth $35000 which even if they minus the liabilities is still enough for 1 person as given in their site
Please help if anyone knows anything about it

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi..I left Canada in 2016 because of not having an eligibility to apply for a PR back then. I had some unpaid debts at that time which I was trying to pay off but couldn't continue to pay as I moved back to India. I just checked my credit score and my debt with interest has gone up to $16400. I have received my ITA and wanted to know if this debt would affect my PR application ?
I have proof of funds worth $35000 which even if they minus the liabilities is still enough for 1 person as given in their site
Your debt won't impact you getting PR.

However this debt will create problems for you once in Canada (getting banking products, getting a car, buying / renting a place, potentially stop you from getting a job). Recommend you pay it off as soon as you can.

WarHammer

May 17, 2018
Fortunately for your unpaid debt is not a crime. But there is a reasonable chance it will show up during background screening which can potentially be a blocker.

Say you do get your PR, your life becomes a nightmare unless you have tons of liquid cash and don’t care about credit. You can forget about renting a decent apartment, buying a car etc unless you pay off your debt.

Harsimran1606

Star Member
Nov 21, 2018
Will I need to show these Canadian debts in my proof of funds letter I submit in my application ?
No i have the same situation like you. I also had a debt around $15000 when i applied under express entry..i did not mention naything about debt in application and right now am permanent resident...

Govardhan7

Star Member
Jan 8, 2020
No i have the same situation like you. I also had a debt around $15000 when i applied under express entry..i did not mention naything about debt in application and right now am permanent resident...
Could you explain more on this. Do you have debt in which country and from which country did you apply for your PR..?