+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR / Travel / Pregnancy

Vinod_1985

May 11, 2019
Hi Guys,

I am a PR since June 3 2019 and I have to relocate to another country in Europe for 1.5 years for my work before coming back to Canada. I am planning to leave end of July around July 29 th 2019.

My wife is pregnant and we think it is a very stage at this time. She has to come back to Canada during her 7th month. I already have my Quebec medical card till end of June 2020.

Can she travel between her 7 and 8th month and deliver the baby here and then stay here for 2 months before she can join me in Europe.

I will finish my work end of next year and all 3 of us should be back in Canada.

I feel this a bit complicated. Any advice.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Agree with canuck78, you will be asked to pay your medical costs. Would suggest that your wife gives birth outside Canada where she has coverage and just sponsor the child when you are ready to move to Canada.

Note the below from what canuck78’s link:

Exceptions for new arrivals
To maintain your eligibility for the Québec Health Insurance Plan, you must be present in Québec 183 days or more in the 12 months following your eligibility starting date. Certain exceptions may apply to new arrivals from another Canadian province or territory. After these first 12 months, your presence is calculated annually (from January 1 to December 31).

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
If you cannot benefit from the social security agreements, then you should speak to the company HR. A company generally will purchase a worldwide medical insurance policy for the employee that works overseas. Ask your company to add a pregnancy rider onto the policy, so that the birth of your child in Canada is covered.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If you cannot benefit from the social security agreements, then you should speak to the company HR. A company generally will purchase a worldwide medical insurance policy for the employee that works overseas. Ask your company to add a pregnancy rider onto the policy, so that the birth of your child in Canada is covered.
As she is already pregnant, no insurance company is going to cover it. It is a guaranteed loss for them.

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
As she is already pregnant, no insurance company is going to cover it. It is a guaranteed loss for them.
It may be impossible for individual, however, company has group policy, getting a rider for pre-existing condition is do able. I have seen it done before.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It may be impossible for individual, however, company has group policy, getting a rider for pre-existing condition is do able. I have seen it done before.
Given that they are living in a European country with good medical care I don’t know whether the company would offer this type of coverage but no hurt in trying. If the child is born in Europe he/she could come to Canada with a ETA and the parents could sponsor them when they return to Canada. That seems like a much more reasonable plan. They’d have to buy emergency health insurance for 5-10 months but much less costly than the other options and no separation.