+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Travel Documents

bvcmoraes

Apr 25, 2017
Hi!

I just got my PR status last week, and yesterday I received an email from a client requesting a meeting in L.A. in 2 weeks. I won't be able to get my PR card until then, so I'd like to know if you guys have any ideas on what I can do?

I know I can apply for a PR travel document in the consulate in L.A, but I was wandering if anyone has done that and how long it took to get the document? It's a very short trip (2-3 days tops), so I'd not be able to wait a long time for the document (as in my company is paying for the trip).

Aside from that, I know I could drive to Canada (as the IRCC agent told me on the phone), but does anyone know any other way to re-entry aside form that? Is there anything else I could apply for that would let me back in? Or does anyone know any office in the US that gives the travel documents in the same day?

PS.: I'm from Brazil. Before PR I was on a temporary work permit, and my visa expired January 10th (Is there a way to renew that???)

bvcmoraes

Apr 25, 2017
You've identified your options. PRTD in 2-3 days is a huge risk. TRVs are not possible as a PR.
Hi! Thank you for your reply! Yeah, I think is very risk too. But as my boss wants me to go to this meeting, I wanted to make sure there wasn't any other ways before I tell him I won't be able to attend.

Thank you for your help!

bvcmoraes

Apr 25, 2017
Best way is to fly out of Canada and fly back via the US and drive but not ideal.
Yeah, not the best option, and the weather is not in the best conditions for a long drive. Anf fly to the border, cross by car and fly again would be a big waste of money and time.

I saw on another thread that someone was able to get the PRTD on the same day in Vienna, but I haven't find this as an option in the US. The LA consulate doesn't answer the phone, only a recording :(

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Videoteleconference?

My experience is that it always risky to depend on embassies but you'll have to gage whether it is worth the risk.

salral

Mar 17, 2016
I also need suggestions from you guys. I'm going to make entry along with my wife and son in May 2019. I cannot move for good at the moment due to some family issues.
What if I stay in Canada for 2 weeks and return to my homeland without getting PR card. my friend will receive cards and send to me through someone who is travelling to my country. I know people do that but I heard cic may ask recent photographs at any moment.
Questions:
is it possible to leave without PR cards and receive them later in my country by someone's hand (not through courier obviously)?
what if they require recent photographs, can i send from my country?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I also need suggestions from you guys. I'm going to make entry along with my wife and son in May 2019. I cannot move for good at the moment due to some family issues.
What if I stay in Canada for 2 weeks and return to my homeland without getting PR card. my friend will receive cards and send to me through someone who is travelling to my country. I know people do that but I heard cic may ask recent photographs at any moment.
Questions:
is it possible to leave without PR cards and receive them later in my country by someone's hand (not through courier obviously)?
what if they require recent photographs, can i send from my country?
Yes you can leave without PR card. You can have a friend bring you the card or you can courier them. You may want to consider leaving another set of pictures from another shop with you friend just in case your pictures get refused. It's a bit overkill but an option if you're worried about having your photos refused.