+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Travel Document required for UK citizen?

Oct 18, 2014
Hi folks

I landed as PR in BC in mid-January and left a week later. I went to Canada for a job interview and decided to land at same time. I have a permanent address there, so my PR card will be sent there eventually.

I'm now back in the UK because of work commitments, and I'm taking another short trip over to Canada at the end of this month (and then back again; aim to settle in Canada by the summer).

But I don't have my PR card yet, and likely won't have it by that time even if it gets FedExed to me in the UK.

Question: can I simply re-enter Canada on my UK passport as a visitor? If not, can I re-enter as a PR without my PR card?

Reason I'm asking is that I don't have the time to travel to London to get this Travel Document done (I believe you need to go there in person). Government websites say that Travel Document definitely required, but googling some forums would suggest I can get away with it. I'm trying to get a definitive answer as to whether I can get away with it, don't want to be turned back at the airport on the far side...

Thanks in advance,

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
You can use your visa-exempt UK passport to fly back to Canada. Then you can use you visa-exempt UK passport and a explanation to CBSA (that you don't have your PR card on your) to re-enter Canada as a PR.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
You can't enter Canada as a visitor, because you are a PR. When talking to CBSA, you should tell them you're a PR and they will be able to determine your PR status simply by your passport and if you want to show it, your COPR. This is exactly what my wife did when re-entering Canada before she got her PR card in the mail, and they found her status in just a few seconds.
No problem at all to enter as a PR if you don't have your PR card yet.

seton

Jun 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2012
AOR Received.
05-11-2012
Med's Request
15-02-2013
Med's Done....
21-02-2013
Passport Req..
04-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2013
LANDED..........
03-05-2013
As mentioned above, the CBSA should be able to determine that you're a PR if you carry your COPR with you.

However the only potential hiccup is being able to board a plane. Some airlines require that you have a return ticket if you're traveling on a tourist like visa (exempt or not). Reason being, if you get denied entry, the airline is responsible for returning you to the country you entered from. However given this is from the UK to Canada, I doubt this would would happen to you - it is more likely to happen on an airline flying from a country with a high percentage of refused visitors.

chinachan

Star Member
Oct 31, 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:
You can't enter Canada as a visitor, because you are a PR. When talking to CBSA, you should tell them you're a PR and they will be able to determine your PR status simply by your passport and if you want to show it, your COPR. This is exactly what my wife did when re-entering Canada before she got her PR card in the mail, and they found her status in just a few seconds.
No problem at all to enter as a PR if you don't have your PR card yet.
Hello,
Did you have round trip tickets or one way ticket to Canada?
Because I always am asked for status of proof at airline check in counter when I go back to Canada.
I asked and a lady told me I cannot show my status in Canada, airline won't let me take the flight.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
chinachan said:
Hello,
Did you have round trip tickets or one way ticket to Canada?
Because I always am asked for status of proof at airline check in counter when I go back to Canada.
I asked and a lady told me I cannot show my status in Canada, airline won't let me take the flight.
It was from a vacation, so on the return trip it was a 1-way flight to Canada.
We didn't mention my wife's PR status to the airline, just that she was flying on her visa-exempt passport.