+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR to super visa

rnakra

Star Member
Feb 24, 2017
Like many I am 99% sure that my parents PR will not be renewable this coming September as with COVID and my grandmother passing away they didn't meet obligations on residency

Is it possible to apply for a super visa now only knowing that it takes up to a year to get approved so that by the time their PR expires it will be approved

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Like many I am 99% sure that my parents PR will not be renewable this coming September as with COVID and my grandmother passing away they didn't meet obligations on residency

Is it possible to apply for a super visa now only knowing that it takes up to a year to get approved so that by the time their PR expires it will be approved
No they are not eligible for a supervisa because they are PRs.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Doesn‘t take a year to get a supervisa. The posted processing times are often wrong. As already indicated you can’t be a PR and apply for a supervisa. They can only apply for a supervisa when they aren’t PRs. It may be much more difficult for someone who has lost their PR to get a supervisa especially if they tried to keep their PR status. As time goes on it may become easier to get a supervisa. That would indicate their desire to remain in Canada permanently. To get approved for a supervisa you need to show strong ties abroad to show that you will return home after your supervisa expires.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

When did your grandmother pass? They should make an effort to return as soon as possible for the best chance of retaining their PR status. Covid has not prevented travel for quite some time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Note that they will not lose their PR status once their PR card expires. They will stil be PRs.

They will only lose their PR status if they renounce PR themselves or if IRCC revokes their PR status (e.g. if they apply for PR Travel Documents and the PRTDs are refused). If possible, they should return to Canada before their PR cards expire. If they can re-enter Canada without being reported, they can remain in Canada without leaving until they meet the residency requirement and then apply to renew their PR cards (and keep their PR status).

As others have said, they cannot apply for the super visa now. They can only apply once they are officially no longer PRs.