+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR to Citizenship - Effects on Getting Married

pea123

Nov 7, 2019
Hi folks, I tried looking for information regarding this topic but no luck. I am hoping to find some answers. As a PR card holder in Canada, will there be implications to my future application for citizenship if I get married before then?

pea123

Nov 7, 2019
As a PR holder you are free to do whatever you want. What kind of implications are you worried about?
I am worried in general if there are implications to paperwork when its time to apply for citizenship. Do I have to change my last name in all my PR docs before I apply for citizenship?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am worried in general if there are implications to paperwork when its time to apply for citizenship. Do I have to change my last name in all my PR docs before I apply for citizenship?
This is Canada. You are not required to change your name.

Reactions: pea123

pea123

Nov 7, 2019
I know a distant relative who got married in the US and received her PR in the US and the country did not allow her to leave for at least 6 mo. Are there any restrictions of some sort in Canada you know?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I suppose, you're right. I would imagine IRCC would still want to know the status change from single to married?
Yes, you would gave to declare your correct marital status.

I know a distant relative who got married in the US and received her PR in the US and the country did not allow her to leave for at least 6 mo. Are there any restrictions of some sort in Canada you know?
There are no such restrictions in Canada.

Reactions: pea123