File Transfer...
27-02-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
22-02-2019
Passport Req..
15-03-2019
I'm American and my girlfriend is Canadian. We are going to get married at some point but don't want to rush it just to help the immigration process. Her parents aren't on great health so the option right now is for me to move to Canada. I'm trying my best to figure out the best way for this to happen should I look for work on Canada? Or continue my education? Any help wou

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
I'm American and my girlfriend is Canadian. We are going to get married at some point but don't want to rush it just to help the immigration process. Her parents aren't on great health so the option right now is for me to move to Canada. I'm trying my best to figure out the best way for this to happen should I look for work on Canada? Or continue my education? Any help wou
Have you lived with your GF for over a year? Are the both of you in the states? In order for you to work in Canada, you will need to find a employer that is willing to apply for LMIA if your job offer isn't under the NAFTA. This will be costly and time consuming for the employer which is the most reasons why they aren't willing to go through with it.

You can always come to Canada as a international student but you will need to show financial proof that you can afford your studies and living expenses and also home ties to prove that you won't overstay.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
To get a study permit to live in Canada as a student you'd need to enroll in a Canadian school, paying expensive international student fees. Also I've heard you need approx $20K in savings to handle all your expected expenses. If this is doable then by all means a study permit is a viable option.

In order for a US citizen to work in Canada, there are only a few options:
- If a recent US graduate, apply for 1 year working holiday/SWAP program
- if you get a job offer for a skilled job qualifying under NAFTA, then with appropriate education/work experience that aligns with it you can apply for Open Work Permit at the border
- if an employer wants to hire you AND goes though long/expensive LMIA process, you can then get a closed work permit to work for them. Typically only possible if you have skills in high demand.
- after you become common-law (live together 12 months) or get married, your spouse can sponsor you for PR while inside Canada and you'd also get an open work permit as part of the application

If none of this is possible, then you can come to Canada as a visitor only, but can't work here. As a visitor you'd be expected to show ties back to the US since you couldn't technically live here permanently.