+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR still in process and having PRTD issues while abroad

Dee92

Aug 12, 2018
Hi everyone,

My first landing was in 2018 Aug via the US land border and I immediately returned back the same day because I wasn't ready to permanently move to Canada then. I had informed the officer about it and she told me that PR card cannot be issued unless I stay in Canada to receive it. She told me that the COPR can be used to enter Canada via the land border the next time I come. I have spent the past 2 years (from Aug 2018 to now) in India.

Right now, I have 730+ days left to fulfil by RO. I'm currently in India and would live to immediately move to Canada. Here are my options -

1. Apply for PRTD from India (since the VFS is closed, I could apply via email) and get on to the next plane to Canada.
Question - Since I spent only 1 day in Canada when I first landed, will there be a problem with approving my PRTD?

2. I have a US B2 visa. I could fly to the US and enter Canada via a land border using my COPR. I don't prefer this since it's a round about way and I might have to check with the US immigration if there are any challenges with this.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you in advance!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

My first landing was in 2018 Aug via the US land border and I immediately returned back the same day because I wasn't ready to permanently move to Canada then. I had informed the officer about it and she told me that PR card cannot be issued unless I stay in Canada to receive it. She told me that the COPR can be used to enter Canada via the land border the next time I come. I have spent the past 2 years (from Aug 2018 to now) in India.

Right now, I have 730+ days left to fulfil by RO. I'm currently in India and would live to immediately move to Canada. Here are my options -

1. Apply for PRTD from India (since the VFS is closed, I could apply via email) and get on to the next plane to Canada.
Question - Since I spent only 1 day in Canada when I first landed, will there be a problem with approving my PRTD?

2. I have a US B2 visa. I could fly to the US and enter Canada via a land border using my COPR. I don't prefer this since it's a round about way and I might have to check with the US immigration if there are any challenges with this.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you in advance!
Yes you should be able to get a PRTD since you are still compliant with your RO. Given the economic situation would make sure you have enough savings to support yourself if you can not find employment for 6+ months.

Dee92

Aug 12, 2018
Yes you should be able to get a PRTD since you are still compliant with your RO. Given the economic situation would make sure you have enough savings to support yourself if you can not find employment for 6+ months.
Thank you so much! Yes, I have a job offer :)

Dee92

Aug 12, 2018
Hello, I have a few doubts with filling the PRTD via email because the VFS is closed. Any help is appreciated :)

1. Photos - Do we have to stick the photo on to the application in the top right corner in the "Space reserved for applicant's photo" section OR do we have to send scanned copies of photos separately OR do BOTH?

2. The website says we need to answer every question and not skip any section. The following questions are not applicable to me. In this case, should I leave it blank or fill N/A?
A. "Other names" [Question number 1]
B. "Your mailing address outside Canada (if different from above)" with address, city, state options [QUESTION NUMBER 12.C]
C. "Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds" [Question number 19]

3. Should we fill the "Date of receipt stamp at post" on top right corner?

4. For question #14 on Activities & Employment, what should I fill in the "to" date? I'm still working. So should I fill "Present" or "today's date"?

5. For question #15 - List all periods you spent in Canada during the past five (5) years. If you became a permanent resident less than five (5) years ago: list time spent in Canada from the time you became a permanent resident to present. -
I landed on 28th Aug 2018, got my PR approved and immediately returned back the same day. In this case, should I fill this up as 1 day?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, I have a few doubts with filling the PRTD via email because the VFS is closed. Any help is appreciated :)

1. Photos - Do we have to stick the photo on to the application in the top right corner in the "Space reserved for applicant's photo" section OR do we have to send scanned copies of photos separately OR do BOTH?

2. The website says we need to answer every question and not skip any section. The following questions are not applicable to me. In this case, should I leave it blank or fill N/A?
A. "Other names" [Question number 1]
B. "Your mailing address outside Canada (if different from above)" with address, city, state options [QUESTION NUMBER 12.C]
C. "Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds" [Question number 19]

3. Should we fill the "Date of receipt stamp at post" on top right corner?

4. For question #14 on Activities & Employment, what should I fill in the "to" date? I'm still working. So should I fill "Present" or "today's date"?

5. For question #15 - List all periods you spent in Canada during the past five (5) years. If you became a permanent resident less than five (5) years ago: list time spent in Canada from the time you became a permanent resident to present. -
I landed on 28th Aug 2018, got my PR approved and immediately returned back the same day. In this case, should I fill this up as 1 day?

Thanks in advance!
There seems to be a new email for a PRTDs in India. Would search the family sponsorship or PR sections. I

Reactions: Dee92

Dee92

Aug 12, 2018
Thank you! I'll check them out.

Could you help me with questions 2, 4 and 5? I think these questions are part of the PRTD application irrespective of applying via email or at the VFS.

TIA :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
1. app will be online
2. N/A is what I would do.
3. Without me seeing the form can’t tell you but assume no.
4. Fill out an accurate description to the best of your abilities.
5. Yes you need to list that one day

Reactions: Dee92

Dee92

Aug 12, 2018
1. app will be online
2. N/A is what I would do.
3. Without me seeing the form can’t tell you but assume no.
4. Fill out an accurate description to the best of your abilities.
5. Yes you need to list that one day
Thank you so much. This is very helpful!