+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR status

brexit

Jul 19, 2017
I, my wife and my dependent Son just received a PR from Canada. I am a primary applicant. At the moment I am working outside Canada and I surely can not move to Canada. My spouse will definitely move. We plan to live apart for few years until she gets her Canadian citizenship. Now my question is: Is my wife eligible for the citizenship (after fulfilling the residency requirement) even though she is not a primary applicant? Or should I also be physically present in Canada in order for her to be eligible?

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
I, my wife and my dependent Son just received a PR from Canada. I am a primary applicant. At the moment I am working outside Canada and I surely can not move to Canada. My spouse will definitely move. We plan to live apart for few years until she gets her Canadian citizenship. Now my question is: Is my wife eligible for the citizenship (after fulfilling the residency requirement) even though she is not a primary applicant? Or should I also be physically present in Canada in order for her to be eligible?
You must land as a PR before or at the same time as your wife. If you live apart for over 3 years (which it will take until she gets citizenship, then you will be out of your Residency Obligation, and could lose your PR status (unless you are working for a Canadian company overseas). Once she has landed as a PR, any time she spends in Canada counts towards her citizenship calculator, regardless of anyone who is with her.

brexit

Jul 19, 2017
You must land as a PR before or at the same time as your wife. If you live apart for over 3 years (which it will take until she gets citizenship, then you will be out of your Residency Obligation, and could lose your PR status (unless you are working for a Canadian company overseas). Once she has landed as a PR, any time she spends in Canada counts towards her citizenship calculator, regardless of anyone who is with her.
If this is such, then it is great. Because I don't care for my PR status as long as my wife gets Citizenship. She always can sponsor me later if we wish to move to Canada, isn't it?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your wife can apply on her own without you being in Canada.