+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR status time limitations?

BCBound20

May 11, 2020
Hi everyone.
I have been planning on immigrating to Canada (British Columbia) from the UK for a while now, but I have a few questions about the process that I am not sure about. I would greatly appreciate any help with these questions. I will be applying through the Federal Skilled Worker program. I haven't yet submitted my Express Entry profile because I want to make sure I get the timing just right. Ideally I would like to continue working here for another year to increase savings before moving to Canada.

Firstly, am I required to move to Canada immediately after being granted permanent residency status? Can I wait 3-6 months, for example, while I get all my affairs in order before moving countries? Is there an expiration date of some sort on the PR status if I have not moved within a given time period?

Secondly, on a related note, does the 'time in country' aspect of retaining Permanent Residency status (720 days within the last 5 years) start counting as soon as the PR application has been fully approved or as soon as I actually move to Canada, possibly months later?

Finally, if, for whatever reason, I am unable to find a job as soon as anticipated after moving to Canada and perhaps end up being unemployed (self-supported, not on benefits) for a few months would this negatively affect my PR status in any way? Is there a requirement of continuous employment due to the fact that this category of immigration is based on economic grounds?

Thank you in advance.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone.
I have been planning on immigrating to Canada (British Columbia) from the UK for a while now, but I have a few questions about the process that I am not sure about. I would greatly appreciate any help with these questions. I will be applying through the Federal Skilled Worker program. I haven't yet submitted my Express Entry profile because I want to make sure I get the timing just right. Ideally I would like to continue working here for another year to increase savings before moving to Canada.

Firstly, am I required to move to Canada immediately after being granted permanent residency status? Can I wait 3-6 months, for example, while I get all my affairs in order before moving countries? Is there an expiration date of some sort on the PR status if I have not moved within a given time period?

Secondly, on a related note, does the 'time in country' aspect of retaining Permanent Residency status (720 days within the last 5 years) start counting as soon as the PR application has been fully approved or as soon as I actually move to Canada, possibly months later?

Finally, if, for whatever reason, I am unable to find a job as soon as anticipated after moving to Canada and perhaps end up being unemployed (self-supported, not on benefits) for a few months would this negatively affect my PR status in any way? Is there a requirement of continuous employment due to the fact that this category of immigration is based on economic grounds?

Thank you in advance.
The COPR is generally valid for one year from the date of the medical. You must land in Canada before COPR expiry but can return to your country right after.

It's 730 days and it starts the day you actually land as a PR.

No effect. You are not required to work.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hi everyone.

Thank you in advance.
Answering in the same order you asked:
  • No, if you are from a country that requires a visa, you'll get a single entry visa (counterfoil) with an expiration date on your passport. Else, if you don't requiere a visa it'll be the expiration date on the COPR (Confirmation of PR) you'll receive. This date is variable, can be anywhere between 1-2 months to close to 1 year. In my wife's case it was issued in March and she has until January (≈10 months) to land. And yes, this expiration date is set to the day before your medical exams are due to expire (1 year from when they were performed).
  • The countdown starts, technically, when you complete your landing the first time you enter Canada. Actually PR cards are issued with an expiration date a few weeks after this date so you'll have 5 years and change since you landed. Of those 5 years you'll have to had been physically in Canada for 2 (730 days).
  • NO, no employment conditions but you'll require to enter with a minimum amount of money to support yourself, and family, for at least 1 year (about 11k CAD, this increases as the number of people in your family increases) you'll be required to show when you land. If you don't, your PR will not be issued.