+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR status for children

Thuy Pham

Dec 17, 2014
Hello!
Appreciate your help to let me know: Once I obtain PR status for myself as the main applicant, my children automatically have PR status? Does each child have a seperate PR card? As I need to spent at least 730 days in 5 years period to maintain PR status, does each of my children need to maintain that 730 days as well, or only me to meet the condition is good enough for the whole family? Similarly, for "landing purpose", my whole family need to "land" or only me to make the "landing" then apply PR card for the whole family? Thank you very much.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Your spouse and children all need to be included in your PR application, and do medical exams.

They can be listed as accompanying or non-accompanying. If you list them as accompanying they will receive PR at the same time as you. Everyone must physically go to Canada to "land" as a PR, or they will not get PR status.

Everyone is subject to the 730 days residency obligation. However if the children are minors, the choice on where to live is not really up to them so even if they don't meet this requirement they have a good chance to maintain their PR status after they become adults. However you and your spouse would most likely lose PR status if you don't meet the requirement.

Thuy Pham

Dec 17, 2014
Rob-TO: Thank you very much. Appreciate if you can send me some official link about this for my further reading. Thank you.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thuy Pham,
Rob-TO's overview of permanent residency and the residency obligation is good.

PR obligations are individual, not collective. You cannot maintain PR for your entire family. You cannot land for your entire family. Their PR visas will be in their passports. Their cards will be under their names and CIC files will link them to their passports, not yours.

You could get a good overview by simply googling "PR residency CIC family" or somesuch combination.

Good luck.

jan01

Nov 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
please help me too
my citizen application under process and i am going to applying for PR Card renewal soon.
and i want to apply PR card renewal of my 2 sons with me.
the problem is that they stay here in Canada less then two years(almost 14TH MONTHS till now).
they are living Canada with me last 8 month.
it's ok to apply there PR renewal with me.
thanks
Jan

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
jan01 said:
please help me too
my citizen application under process and i am going to applying for PR Card renewal soon.
and i want to apply PR card renewal of my 2 sons with me.
the problem is that they stay here in Canada less then two years(almost 14TH MONTHS till now).
they are living Canada with me last 8 month.
it's ok to apply there PR renewal with me.
thanks
Jan
If they don't meet the RO I certainly would not apply to renew their PR cards.