+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR status and travel to Canada

smallwhale

Feb 24, 2010
Hello experts!
I don't think I have met the PR obligation of staying in Canada in two years of the last five years.
I am getting conflicting information whether I can travel to Canada.
Some people are saying I can travel to Canada. Some people are saying I have to renounce my permanent residency before I can travel to Canada.
Any information would be helpful here.

smallwhale

Feb 24, 2010
Thank you. I understand. So, the only option would be to renounce if I want to travel. Can I travel while the renouncement application is underway.
I have a child who is also in my situation. He is not yet 18 years old, but I want him to take a decision on where he should live when he turns 18. Is it possible to not renounce the child's PR status, but just renounce mine?
Can my child be able to travel to Canada along with me (after I renounce may PR) with a PR status of RO not met?

smallwhale

Feb 24, 2010
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status/am-i-pr.html

you can only travel once you have successfully renounced to your PR status. While you are a PR you can’t apply for TRV or eTA
Your kid can keep the PR status. But he will need to go through another legal process to try to be admitted in order to comply with his RO in the future.
So just applying for renouncement is not enough to get a eTA! I have to wait for the approval on the renouncement. That will add some delay to get the eTA I suppose.
For the minor kid, my question is can he retain the PR status, and still travel with a eTA for now?

miguelca

May 6, 2021

smallwhale

Feb 24, 2010
I searched through the forum. And it seems that renouncing PR should not have any negative impact on the future new PR application. Has anyone done this?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello experts!
I don't think I have met the PR obligation of staying in Canada in two years of the last five years.
I am getting conflicting information whether I can travel to Canada.
Some people are saying I can travel to Canada. Some people are saying I have to renounce my permanent residency before I can travel to Canada.
Any information would be helpful here.
Do you have a valid PR card? How much time have you been in Canada in the last five years.

Neuro

Jul 17, 2021
My PR card has been expired. I can reach Canada border by land. I may not need eTA technically.
Yo may try applying prtd for you and your kid mentioning some strong reason for not being able to maintain your residency. when did your pr card expire?.

RajC6

Apr 22, 2017
Kindly response with comments - that shall help me
My PR Card expires in August 2023. I am currently in India and am unable to travel back to Canada due to the Covid situation. In the year June2018 - I did soft landing, stayed for 10 days and came back to India. Got PR cards(for entire family even for 2 kids) that expires in Aug2023 and didn't travel back to Canada.
Can I delay my travel to Canada next year as I do not want to take the risk due to Covid ? I think I am in 730 days lapse period which is stay obligation 2 years out of 5 years?

Any suggestions - Am I allowed to enter Canada now?

Thanks in advance
Raj

shannon388

Dec 15, 2017
Kindly response with comments - that shall help me
My PR Card expires in August 2023. I am currently in India and am unable to travel back to Canada due to the Covid situation. In the year June2018 - I did soft landing, stayed for 10 days and came back to India. Got PR cards(for entire family even for 2 kids) that expires in Aug2023 and didn't travel back to Canada.
Can I delay my travel to Canada next year as I do not want to take the risk due to Covid ? I think I am in 730 days lapse period which is stay obligation 2 years out of 5 years?

Any suggestions - Am I allowed to enter Canada now?

Thanks in advance
Raj
You can definitely travel to Canada. You can also travel next year as long as your PR status is not revoked (note: it is not automatically revoked when you do not meet the RO, they must go through all the process). You're still a PR, you enter Canada by right, not privilege.

smallwhale

Feb 24, 2010
Yo may try applying prtd for you and your kid mentioning some strong reason for not being able to maintain your residency. when did your pr card expire?.
My PR card expired almost two years back. I doubt I would be allowed a prtd as I don't have a very strong reason.
I don't see a reason to keep the PR at this point, as it will cause problem anytime I want to visit Canada.
Even if they allow me in the country, I will not be able to leave the country for two years. And in those two years, I will not have any PR card as I cannot renew my PR card without showing them a proof that I have stayed 2 years in the last 5 years. Getting a SIN without PR card may be a problem. Without a SIN, getting a job would be difficult too. Are these valid assumptions?
I think I am going to give up the PR. My age might prevent me from getting another PR at this point. If my kid wants to goto Canada in future, he can
apply for PR again when he becomes ready.