+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR status and travel to Canada

smallwhale

Feb 24, 2010
Kindly response with comments - that shall help me
My PR Card expires in August 2023. I am currently in India and am unable to travel back to Canada due to the Covid situation. In the year June2018 - I did soft landing, stayed for 10 days and came back to India. Got PR cards(for entire family even for 2 kids) that expires in Aug2023 and didn't travel back to Canada.
Can I delay my travel to Canada next year as I do not want to take the risk due to Covid ? I think I am in 730 days lapse period which is stay obligation 2 years out of 5 years?

Any suggestions - Am I allowed to enter Canada now?

Thanks in advance
Raj
I think you barely missed the residency obligation requirement. Since you have unexpired PR card, you are good to goto Canada. But at the border, you may be asked questions about not meeting the residency obligation. If you can convince them with your answer, I think you should be good. But you may not leave Canada for 2 years. If you cannot convince them at the border, then you may be reported. If reported, you can appeal the decision. If the appeal is successful, then you should be good.

smallwhale

Feb 24, 2010
You can definitely travel to Canada. You can also travel next year as long as your PR status is not revoked (note: it is not automatically revoked when you do not meet the RO, they must go through all the process). You're still a PR, you enter Canada by right, not privilege.
Please see https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/re-applying-for-pr-as-the-residency-obligation-is-not-met.692449/post-8692623 in case you travel to Canada, and somehow gets reported for the appeal process.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
My PR Card expires in August 2023. I am currently in India and am unable to travel back to Canada due to the Covid situation. In the year June2018 - I did soft landing, stayed for 10 days and came back to India. Got PR cards(for entire family even for 2 kids) that expires in Aug2023 and didn't travel back to Canada.
Can I delay my travel to Canada next year as I do not want to take the risk due to Covid ? I think I am in 730 days lapse period which is stay obligation 2 years out of 5 years?

Thanks in advance
Raj
So you didn't travel back before June 2021 which was 3 years from your landing (with only 10 days in Canada).
As others have replied, you may not may not be flagged when you enter Canada.
If you are reported for not meeting your RO, there is a process to revoked your PR.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So just applying for renouncement is not enough to get a eTA! I have to wait for the approval on the renouncement. That will add some delay to get the eTA I suppose.
For the minor kid, my question is can he retain the PR status, and still travel with a eTA for now?
Does the minor have a valid PR card? Retaining the child’s status isn’t guaranteed either.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Thanks in advance
Raj
The earlier you enter Canada the less likely you will likely be reported. Been non-compliant for a few months like you are today is much better than arriving with a few months left on RO.