+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR status affect for separation ?

D10s

Sep 30, 2021
Hello All!,

I have some doubts, I am PR, and my partner (common law), won't be living together anymore and we'll separate, I wonder if this could be a problem for our status as PR and the end of tomorrow when we will apply to Citizenship? Could affect something?

If anyone knows what to keep in mind in this situation, would appreciate it.

Thank you!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I have some doubts, I am PR, and my partner (common law), won't be living together anymore and we'll separate, I wonder if this could be a problem for our status as PR and the end of tomorrow when we will apply to Citizenship? Could affect something?
Warning that you have not given perhaps all the information that might be relevant, so I'm reading between the lines a bit, but think this should be right.

No, there should be no implications - each of you have PR status independently of each other. The cases where there could be an issue would be if the basis for which one/either of you got PR status was depdenent on that marital status (sponsorship or one was included on the other's PR application) AND the information provided to IRCC to become a PR was not true (material misrepresentation). The most obvious of which - a fake marriage or relationship to gain PR status.

A marriage/relationship that just breaks down some time after arrival in Canada is not generally suspected of being 'fake' or fraudulent unless there's some clear evidence.

So the upshot: if this is just a case of a relationship breaking down, it's not relevant to your PR status or citizenship apps. (Although I think you do have to include info about spouse for citizenship app, just tell the truth)

Reactions: D10s

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The Conditional PR (Condition 51) was eliminated/reversed in 2017. If you became a PR prior to (April?) 2017, it no longer applies to you. Even if you became a PR after that change and your COPR document shows `Condition(s): 51' (or similar), it was not applicable. Since that time it was no longer a requirement for sponsored PRs to remain with, or cohabitate with their sponsoring spouse.

Last edited:
Reactions: D10s

D10s

Sep 30, 2021
Thank you so much all of you! for sharing and for all this information! this helps a lot!!

Thanks again! :)