+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR sponsorship for my partner

kartik042

Jul 26, 2021
Hello all,

I'm currently a Canadian PR living in the US. I plan to move to Canada once I get a job and I want to bring my girlfriend with me. She stays in the US with me as well. I wanted to know what are the options to get her to Canada so that she could work there as well. She has a CRS score of 471 and with the recent FSW draw cutoff, I feel it's going to take a while until the cutoff reduces to 470s.
Can anyone suggest the options I have for her.
I'm aware of the following options:
1. spousal sponsorship (we're not married yet)
2. Common Law partner sponsorship (we've been staying together for past 4 years and have lease agreements etc to provide)
3. Spousal open work permit
4. Visitor visa to PR (I'm aware that she won't be able to work while on VV)

Which of these options would be best and would take less time comparatively?
Let me know if I'm missing anything. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Kartik.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello all,

I'm currently a Canadian PR living in the US. I plan to move to Canada once I get a job and I want to bring my girlfriend with me. She stays in the US with me as well. I wanted to know what are the options to get her to Canada so that she could work there as well. She has a CRS score of 471 and with the recent FSW draw cutoff, I feel it's going to take a while until the cutoff reduces to 470s.
2. Common Law partner sponsorship (we've been staying together for past 4 years and have lease agreements etc to provide)

Thanks,
Kartik.
If you are a Canadian PR and currently meet your RO, you can only sponsor once you are in Canada.

If you want your common law partner/girlfriend to come with you, and if she needs a TRV (since you mentioned that option, I assume that she needs a visa to enter Canada and not just an eTA), then apply for that. If she gets TRV, then she can enter and apply via inland spousal sponsorship (for both spouse and common law partner). With inland, you can apply along with OWP and depending on the processing time, she will get OWP and then eventually PR while both of you stay in Canada.

Or she will stay in US and you can apply for family sponsorship outland. There is no OWP available and she can enter once she gets her PR application approved.

Post further in the family sponsorship section if you decided to go that way.

your "options" seem a bit confusing.

There is no option for Spousal Open Work permit for spouse/common law partner of PRs or Citizens.
It's only for internional students or foreign workers.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all,

Thanks,
Kartik.
1. Not possible since you aren't married. Possible if you get married but only after you have moved to Canada. You must be living in Canada in order to submit the application to sponsor her for PR.
2. Possible after you have moved to Canada. You cannot sponsor her from outside of Canada.
3. Only possible if both of you are in Canada, you submit an application to sponsor her inland and then include an open work permit with the application. Not possible to apply for an open work permit for her separately.
4. Sure, this is also possible

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all,

Thanks,
Kartik.
Just to add... I'm not sure when you became a PR. However hopefully you included your partner in your application.

kartik042

Jul 26, 2021
If you are a Canadian PR and currently meet your RO, you can only sponsor once you are in Canada.

If you want your common law partner/girlfriend to come with you, and if she needs a TRV (since you mentioned that option, I assume that she needs a visa to enter Canada and not just an eTA), then apply for that. If she gets TRV, then she can enter and apply via inland spousal sponsorship (for both spouse and common law partner). With inland, you can apply along with OWP and depending on the processing time, she will get OWP and then eventually PR while both of you stay in Canada.

Or she will stay in US and you can apply for family sponsorship outland. There is no OWP available and she can enter once she gets her PR application approved.

Post further in the family sponsorship section if you decided to go that way.

your "options" seem a bit confusing.

There is no option for Spousal Open Work permit for spouse/common law partner of PRs or Citizens.
It's only for internional students or foreign workers.
Thanks for the response. She has no visa to enter and being an Indian citizen she cannot use an eTA to enter Canada. So I'm assuming while she is on TRV, she won't be able to work since she would have to apply for OWP? How long will the TRV be valid?
Do you know the current timeline for family sponsorship outland? Since we're not married yet, will she be eligible for family sponsorship? I think she would be eligible for common-law partner sponsorship in this case right?

kartik042

Jul 26, 2021
1. Not possible since you aren't married. Possible if you get married but only after you have moved to Canada. You must be living in Canada in order to submit the application to sponsor her for PR.
2. Possible after you have moved to Canada. You cannot sponsor her from outside of Canada.
3. Only possible if both of you are in Canada, you submit an application to sponsor her inland and then include an open work permit with the application. Not possible to apply for an open work permit for her separately.
4. Sure, this is also possible
Thanks for the response. Seems like according to you, most of the options requires me to be in Canada. Is there an option to do anything while staying outside Canada?

kartik042

Jul 26, 2021
Just to add... I'm not sure when you became a PR. However hopefully you included your partner in your application.
I became a PR in April 2022 and I have my PR card with me. I did not include her in my application or else we both would have had our PPRs by now. I filed a single application because she was not ready yet then.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I became a PR in April 2022 and I have my PR card with me. I did not include her in my application or else we both would have had our PPRs by now. I filed a single application because she was not ready yet then.
But haven't you been living together for four years now? She became your common law partner after living together for 1 year. It was mandatory to include her in your PR application. If you didn't include her, then sponsoring her will never be possible. She will need to qualify for PR on her own through an economic immigration program like Express Entry.

Reactions: YVR123

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
agree to what @scylla said . When you applied for PR, if you were in common law relation, it becomes MANDATORY for you to declare your common law in partner in your application. In future sponsoring her would be impossible.

Reactions: YVR123 and scylla

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Agree with the rest. I missed that you JUST got your PR in April... If you have posted the question BEFORE you landed, we could have tell you NOT to land without adding your common law partner.

Since you have lived with her for 4 years, she is already your common law partner when you applied. But you landed as single, which means that you can never sponsor her as your common law partner. And even after you get married with her, you cannot sponsor her as a spouse.

She needs to qualify herself to become PR. It's unfortunate. Even if she was not "ready" back then, you could have included her as non-accompanying dependent. Then you could sponsor her later. But well. It's too late for that.

Reactions: scylla