+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR sponsoring a spouse while living outside Canada

vm87

Mar 26, 2017
Hi,

I am Canadian PR living in US and am planning to move to Canada in July-August next year.

Although the CIC website clearly stipulates that I can sponsor my spouse only if I am living Canada, two immigration agents have given me advice that is contrary to this:
- One of the immigration agents is asking me to come to Canada for a couple of days, file the application and then return back to US. He says I don't need to be in Canada and he has done several such cases.
- The other immigration agent is saying I can apply from US as a PR (I confirmed PR not citizen), I just need to show intent of moving to Canada either through a job offer or maybe even buying a residence in Canada

Has anyone applied on these forum applied through such methods? If yes, were they successful? What is the risk of trying one of these methods (i.e if the application gets rejected because I wasn't in Canada, can I reapply when I come to Canada?)

Any help or guidance would be very appreciated. I don't want me and my spouse to be living in separate countries for 12 months or so when I move to Canada and apply for pr after I move.

Vikram

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
These immigration consultants should not be in business if they are telling you that you, as a Canadian PR, can sponsor a spouse while living outside Canada. They are 100% wrong. I am sorry to dash your hopes.

What the first consultant suggested, which seems to be implying that you'd provide a Canadian address and lead them to believe you were living in Canada when you actually were not, would be misrepresentation and could result in you never being able to sponsor your spouse.

What the second consultant suggested is what CITIZENS have to do if they are sponsoring from outside Canada, but is not an option for PRs.

I'm sorry these people misled you. :(

Reactions: kcward7

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Both are 100% wrong and should not even be calling themselves immigration consultants.

If you are not living in Canada to submit the app and for it's entire duration, once IRCC learns of this the app will be cancelled. This is one of the most basic rules of a PR being a sponsor.

Only short/temporary vacations are allowed outside Canada while the app is processing.

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
Agree with the above. To add, these are CIC's instructions of who can become a sponsor:

You can become a sponsor if you are:
  • at least 18 years old
  • a Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or a permanent resident living in Canada:
    • if you are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative becomes a permanent resident
    • you can’t sponsor someone if you are a permanent resident living outside Canada
  • able to prove that you are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability
  • have enough income to provide for basic needs of any grandchildren (dependent children of a dependent child) of the principal applicant

vm87

Mar 26, 2017
Thanks for your answers!

I know one way that we be together in Canada is that she applies for visitor visa but as a wife of PR getting visitor visa will be tough. If she wants to study can she apply for a study permit and do a short course? Is that also tough as wife of a pr?

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
Thanks for your answers!

I know one way that we be together in Canada is that she applies for visitor visa but as a wife of PR getting visitor visa will be tough. If she wants to study can she apply for a study permit and do a short course? Is that also tough as wife of a pr?
Visa officers have brains and they have seen so many cases, so don't try to outsmart them. Applying for a "visitor" visa or a "study" permit to do a "short" course while he/she has a PR spouse doesn't sound like a good plan to convince anyone. Sorry to tell you that, but you have to be realistic and prepared to be apart for about a year during the sponsorship application. Good Luck!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for your answers!

She can certainly apply but with a PR spouse, she will need to show very strong ties to her country to be approved. You should plan that she will not be able to come to Canada until the PR app is processed.

bahar.april

Apr 30, 2018
Hello everyone,:)

I am a Canadian citizen and I want to apply for my husband's PR because we have planned to move to Canada next summer.
I do not live in Canada at this time and we both live abroad.

Do I have to come to Canada alone (without my spouse) to apply for the outland applicaton? or Can I wait until we come together?
How can I prove that I plan to stay in Canada after my sponsored spouse gets his PR?
What are the essential documents that I should provide with the forms?

Thank you so much for your time and concern in advance

Reactions: Msw89 and Avadava

Avadava

Oct 11, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
December 3, 2013
AOR Received.
Stage 1 AOR + SA January 8, 2014
File Transfer...
January 12, 2014
Med's Request
Further Medical Tests Requested: October 24, 2013
Med's Done....
October 15, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
October 20, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
October 27, 2014
LANDED..........
January 17, 2015
Hello everyone,:)

I am a Canadian citizen and I want to apply for my husband's PR because we have planned to move to Canada next summer.
I do not live in Canada at this time and we both live abroad.

Do I have to come to Canada alone (without my spouse) to apply for the outland applicaton? or Can I wait until we come together?
How can I prove that I plan to stay in Canada after my sponsored spouse gets his PR?
What are the essential documents that I should provide with the forms?

Thank you so much for your time and concern in advance
I can give you advice based on my personal experience. My husband wasn't living in Canada when he applied to sponsor me. He is a Canadian citizen and at that time we were both living and working in Germany. This is what we sent with our application to prove that he intends to move to Canada once I get approved as a PR:

1. Letter from current job stating they are aware he is planning to quit and move back to Canada.
2. Letter from his mother (living in Canada) stating that she knows her son is planning to move to Canada and she will offer us accomodation until we can both get enstablished.
3. Personal letter from husband (the sponsor) detailing his plans for the move to Canada and his job opportunities/research. He also stated his reasons for wanting to come back to Canada.(after 8 years abroad)
4. Screen shots of web browser history where it shows Google searches for jobs in the Vancouver area (where we were planning to get established).

We got approved with no problems. One thing I learned from dealing with IRCC is that you ahould always send letters of explanation. Don't let them guess what you mean, what your intentions are. Write a letter and explain it to them.

Good luck!

bahar.april

Apr 30, 2018
I can give you advice based on my personal experience. My husband wasn't living in Canada when he applied to sponsor me. He is a Canadian citizen and at that time we were both living and working in Germany. This is what we sent with our application to prove that he intends to move to Canada once I get approved as a PR:

1. Letter from current job stating they are aware he is planning to quit and move back to Canada.
2. Letter from his mother (living in Canada) stating that she knows her son is planning to move to Canada and she will offer us accomodation until we can both get enstablished.
3. Personal letter from husband (the sponsor) detailing his plans for the move to Canada and his job opportunities/research. He also stated his reasons for wanting to come back to Canada.(after 8 years abroad)
4. Screen shots of web browser history where it shows Google searches for jobs in the Vancouver area (where we were planning to get established).

We got approved with no problems. One thing I learned from dealing with IRCC is that you ahould always send letters of explanation. Don't let them guess what you mean, what your intentions are. Write a letter and explain it to them.

Good luck!
You supported me with invaluable information.
Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it.

Reactions: Avadava