+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR scheduled to expire in Oct 2023. RO not met at expiry. Renewal Options?

canandapr8

Feb 9, 2022
I currently have an active Canadian PR that will expire in Oct 2023. I am planning to relocate to Canada but will not be able to meet the RO at expiration (falling short by 4 - 6 months). Below are some questions:
- Is it legal to stay and work in Canada post PR card expiration if RO is not met?
- Can I complete the RO by staying in Canada 4 months post by PR expiration and then file for renewal or would that be an issue?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I currently have an active Canadian PR that will expire in Oct 2023. I am planning to relocate to Canada but will not be able to meet the RO at expiration (falling short by 4 - 6 months). Below are some questions:
- Is it legal to stay and work in Canada post PR card expiration if RO is not met?
- Can I complete the RO by staying in Canada 4 months post by PR expiration and then file for renewal or would that be an issue?
Yes and yes.

Reactions: canandapr8

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Yes, assuming that you can enter Canada without being reported for not meeting the RO.
And your RO calculation starts from your landing date, not the PR card expiratiion date. Card expiration is when the PR card cannot be used to enter Canada if pass that day.

Reactions: canandapr8

canandapr8

Feb 9, 2022
Yes and yes.
Thanks for the quick response! Just to be clear, I would have already completed my 5 years since the time I first landed in Canada as a PR in Oct 2023, but I can still stay and work for additional 4-6 months post Oct 2023 to complete my RO and then apply for PR renewal, correct?

JJS

Jan 29, 2011
You totally can do this. I was in a similar situation now a Citizen. Just wait until you have 730 days before you apply for PR card renewal. Also something very important to note is that if you don't have a drivers license, health card, etc already, get them before your card expires under all circumstances. It can be a pain to get these done without a valid PR card in my experience. Some provinces even straight out refuse. Feel free to ask any questions about this.

canandapr8

Feb 9, 2022
You totally can do this. I was in a similar situation now a Citizen. Just wait until you have 730 days before you apply for PR card renewal. Also something very important to note is that if you don't have a drivers license, health card, etc already, get them before your card expires under all circumstances. It can be a pain to get these done without a valid PR card in my experience. Some provinces even straight out refuse. Feel free to ask any questions about this.
Thanks for the quick response! Just to be clear, I would have already completed my 5 years since the time I first landed in Canada as a PR in Oct 2023, but I can still stay and work for additional 4-6 months post Oct 2023 to complete my RO and then apply for PR renewal, correct?

JJS

Jan 29, 2011
Yes, it doesn't matter. All that matters is you land here and get your life settled before your PR card expires. Then wait until you're here for 730 days in past 5 years from the day you apply for PR card renewal. Understanding when to apply for PR renewal is the key. You do not need a valid PR card to live or get paid here.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Yes, it doesn't matter. All that matters is you land here and get your life settled before your PR card expires. Then wait until you're here for 730 days in past 5 years from the day you apply for PR card renewal. Understanding when to apply for PR renewal is the key. You do not need a valid PR card to live or get paid here.
Because you mention "Oct 2023" for the PR card expiry date but not exactly when you planned to enter Canada. But we highly suggest you to come back before the expiry and leave some time to get your SIN (if you didn't have one) and start application on your provincial health plan.

BogusApplicant

Star Member
Nov 22, 2015
My PR card is expiring in beginning of 2023 and I will apply for a new one in the next 2 months (to be within 9 months). If I leave Canada after getting the new PR card, can I enter after 4 years on the valid PR card, and most likely not have met the RO? Will I be reported even with a valid PR?
p.s. - I do not intend to do this, plan to return while still within RO, but just being prepared for any eventuality.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My PR card is expiring in beginning of 2023 and I will apply for a new one in the next 2 months (to be within 9 months). If I leave Canada after getting the new PR card, can I enter after 4 years on the valid PR card, and most likely not have met the RO? Will I be reported even with a valid PR?
p.s. - I do not intend to do this, plan to return while still within RO, but just being prepared for any eventuality.
If you leave for 4 years, then you will not meet RO. No one can tell you if you will be reported or not. If you remain outside of Canada for 4 years and don't meet RO, then it is possible to be reported when you enter Canada.

BogusApplicant

Star Member
Nov 22, 2015
If you leave for 4 years, then you will not meet RO. No one can tell you if you will be reported or not. If you remain outside of Canada for 4 years and don't meet RO, then it is possible to be reported when you enter Canada.
Thank you. So, the PR card validity doesn't really matter. What matter is the RO.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you are not compliant with your RO I would not apply 9 months early. You risk losing your PR status. When did you first land? I would only apply once you have been in Canada for over 730 days in the past 5 years.

Reactions: BogusApplicant

BogusApplicant

Star Member
Nov 22, 2015
If you are not compliant with your RO I would not apply 9 months early. You risk losing your PR status. When did you first land? I would only apply once you have been in Canada for over 730 days in the past 5 years.
Nope, I'm compliant now. Been away from Canada for less than 50 days since becoming PR in Jan 2018. But, I may accept an offer to transfer to US for 3 years. I'm applying for Citizenship (will will not come before I leave) but just checking the worst case scenario.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Nope, I'm compliant now. Been away from Canada for less than 50 days since becoming PR in Jan 2018. But, I may accept an offer to transfer to US for 3 years. I'm applying for Citizenship (will will not come before I leave) but just checking the worst case scenario.
If you apply 9 months before just make sure you remain compliant with your RO. To qualify for citizenship you must remain compliant with your RO and you will switch to a rolling total where you must meet the 730 days out of 5 years on any day. There are always risks that there can be changes to the citizenship requirements especially if there is a chance in government.