PR - Returning to Home Country

injuredcold

Star Member
Mar 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
I have a question regarding PR.
My parents are permanent residents after coming through Refugee Claimants route, as they were under threat of being persecuted back home for religious reasons. On the time of being issued PR (i.e. last year), they were told to not go back to home country where they were persecuted until they get their citizenship.
Problem now is that there is property under their name back home and in order to sell that they would need to be there to sign the papers themselves, as before leaving in rush they didn't appoint power of attorney to anybody.

In short my question is: Is there a possibility that we could notify immigration or ask for permission or consideration to travel back home in some emergency circumstances?

We don't have any intentions to go back and are thankful to Canada to provide a safe haven.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can't your parents defer selling the property until they get citizenship? Does not appear to me that this is an emergency that someone must go back to home country. Besides, I think only citizens can seek assistance from the Canadian embassy.

injuredcold

Star Member
Mar 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well its not easy to make it in Canada when you are new and you could use the money that comes from selling the house to invest here or in some cases for your survival.
Not everybody is privileged to get a decent job in a new country, new culture and language. It certainly helps if you could get money that you could use for your own good.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They can do up a power of attorney in Canada and send per post to their home country or they could have the sales contract mailed to them to Canada, sign it and mail it back.

I have bought a house in Canada where the owner was outside the country and it was not a problem.

injuredcold

Star Member
Mar 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Leon, that certainly an option that we are considering but its a lengthy complicated process.
But my question stands "is there an option in certain conditions for people with such status to be able to go back to their home country?"

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
injuredcold said:
Thanks Leon, that certainly an option that we are considering but its a lengthy complicated process.
But my question stands "is there an option in certain conditions for people with such status to be able to go back to their home country?"
I don't know but you know how it looks to immigration when you claim asylum because you are persecuted in your home country and then you just can't wait to get back there? It looks bad.

What is complicated about mail? If your home country does not have reliable mail, they could also use courier, DHL, UPS etc.

Oct 19, 2012
Hi Man

There are two considerations in your question? First u have to be clear if your parents want to sell property only in your home country OR they just want to visit their family and friends back home country under cover of selling the property? Selling the property is very easy u can do it without visiting home country. Your parents can execute a special power of attorney get it attested from your embassy and send back home. The person u authorize will sell your property even your parents signatures are not required at all on any document in this case.

But if its an excuse to visit only and your parents visit your home country and come back to Canada safely in this case one fact will be established that the basis of political assylum was forged & fabricated and it will be assumed that your country is safe and there's no threat to your parents life over there (This is true as well ) then the CIC can revoke their PR status assuming that your country is now safe for them to live. At present CIC is really active in these kinda cases.

By the way why your parents wanna sell a propert in the Hell after taking a risk of leaving the heaven? I suggest you live in the heaven and forget the property in the hell....................thats it

Good Luck

injuredcold

Star Member
Mar 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks guys for the suggestion.
We don't have any ties left back home since all of us are here in Canada. Both of them are signatories that's why they might be required at the point of sales.
I know the implications of returning back to Home country and these were clearly mentioned at the time of their receiving PR.

My only query is: Is there a possibility in which one could ask some department for permission or consideration? Then it could be their discretion if they consider the case as genuine or don't allow it altogether.

injuredcold

Star Member
Mar 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Test Of Patience said:
Hey Man

Are u from Pakistan? If yes i can guide u in more appropriate way?

Cheers
Can you please share your suggestions here?