+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR resident Obligation

raclemena

Oct 6, 2019
Hi, i am a permanent resident for total of Six years,. i just got my card renewed last April 2019,. they said you have to spend 730 days for every 5yrs, and a 5 year period is assessed on rolling basis., can i spend 3yrs outside canada right after i received my renewed card?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
The 5 year period has nothing really to do with the validity of your PR card. Each time you leave the country then on your return you need to be able to demonstrate if asked that you have spent 730 days in the 5 years preceeding each new entry. So in theory sure you could spend upto 3 years out as long as on each new entry you still meet the min 730 days in the preceeeding 5 years.

Reactions: raclemena

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi, i am a permanent resident for total of Six years,. i just got my card renewed last April 2019,. they said you have to spend 730 days for every 5yrs, and a 5 year period is assessed on rolling basis., can i spend 3yrs outside canada right after i received my renewed card?
Look back from the current date at the last 1825 days.
Have you spent more than 1095 of them outside Canada?
If you have, you are non-compliant with the Residency Obligation requirements.

Do the same test every day from now on. This will give you the answer to your question.
The dates on the PR card are not relevant to this calculation. A new card does not "reset the clock".

Reactions: raclemena

raclemena

Oct 6, 2019
The 5 year period has nothing really to do with the validity of your PR card. Each time you leave the country then on your return you need to be able to demonstrate if asked that you have spent 730 days in the 5 years preceeding each new entry. So in theory sure you could spend upto 3 years out as long as on each new entry you still meet the min 730 days in the preceeeding 5 years.

raclemena

Oct 6, 2019

raclemena

Oct 6, 2019
Look back from the current date at the last 1825 days.
Have you spent more than 1095 of them outside Canada?
If you have, you are non-compliant with the Residency Obligation requirements.

Do the same test every day from now on. This will give you the answer to your question.
The dates on the PR card are not relevant to this calculation. A new card does not "reset the clock".