+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR residency requirements living outside Canada

mizeky88

Mar 15, 2018
Hi I am currently under processing my PR visa outland application.
I am going to get my medical checkup this April.
My husband will go back to Canada this August to go to school and I won't follow him at that time.
I am expecting that my PR visa will be approved in this year and I will land in Canada Feb 2019 for a short time.
My husband's school is 2 years and he is planning on working outside Canada after graduation.
So we decided that I keep working in my country for 2 years until he graduates and then move somewhere together after.
I am concerned about the residency requirements now because of our situation.
Some people say that if you live with Canadian citizen spouse outside Canada then that meets your residency requirements even if you or your spouse don't work at Canadian company.
Is this true? also it it fine that my husband and I will live apart for 2 years also?

thank you

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So your husband is a Canadian citizen? If so your answer is here

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-sex-designation.html#appendixA

After your initial landing you will need your husband to mail/ courier your PR card to you assuming that you may want to visit your husband at some point in the 2 years you could be apart.

Others can comment as this is my understanding only but you still need to meet the 2 out of 5 residency obligation whether in Canada or accompanying a citizen outside of Canada so any time apart when you are outside of Canada will not count so keep that in mind as well as your intention to be apart out of the country for 2 years initially.

Whilst outside Canada with your spouse you would as detailed in above link need to keep meticulous records to show that you were together outside the country. The latter becomes important should you want to travel back to Canada should there be any doubts about RO and also should you still be outside Canada when your PR card expires given although you cannot renew from outside Canada you will need documentation to backup a PRTD application.,

See also this link to be wary of not spending any time at all in Canada to meet the RO before your husband as a citizen joins you that might be the weak point in an accompany case not residing in Canada at all after initial landing, no way to predict.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pr-accompanying-a-canadian-citizen-special-case.549086/

Note that time accompanying outside Canada does not count towards a citizenship application, that requires actual physical presence in Canada.

Last edited:

mizeky88

Mar 15, 2018
r
So your husband is a Canadian citizen? If so your answer is here

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-sex-designation.html#appendixA

After your initial landing you will need your husband to mail/ courier your PR card to you assuming that you may want to visit your husband at some point in the 2 years you could be apart.

Others can comment as this is my understanding only but you still need to meet the 2 out of 5 residency obligation whether in Canada or accompanying a citizen outside of Canada so any time apart when you are outside of Canada will not count so keep that in mind as well as your intention to be apart out of the country for 2 years initially.

Whilst outside Canada with your spouse you would as detailed in above link need to keep meticulous records to show that you were together outside the country. The latter becomes important should you want to travel back to Canada should there be any doubts about RO and also should you still be outside Canada when your PR card expires given although you cannot renew from outside Canada you will need documentation to backup a PRTD application.,

See also this link to be wary of not spending any time at all in Canada to meet the RO before your husband as a citizen joins you that might be the weak point in an accompany case not residing in Canada at all after initial landing, no way to predict.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pr-accompanying-a-canadian-citizen-special-case.549086/

Note that time accompanying outside Canada does not count towards a citizenship application, that requires actual physical presence in Canada.
thank you so much! it is very helpful!!