+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Residency requirements doubt

prasquants

Jun 15, 2017
Hello,

I have a question on PR RO I could use your help on:

I became a PR early this January and have been outside Canada since. Now, I am planning to move back to Canada late next year (Dec 2020 or Jan 2021); My concern is, what happens if residency requirements change in the next few years. i.e from the current 2/5 years to 3/5 years, for instance.

If I stayed out of Canada for about 2.5 years and moved back, and RO requirements change later, I could potentially be in a situation where I do not meet the stay requirements when the time comes for PR renewal. Am I correct with this interpretation?. This has been confusing me a little bit off late as some of my acquaintances gave a heads up that RO could change potentially if Conversatives win this election, etc.

Would greatly appreciate your inputs on this topic!. Many thanks!!

Last edited:

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You would be correct. The law could change at the time it is passed and there may not be any “grandfather” clause to allow for those who planned on 2/5. The intent of permanent residence is for you to reside in Canada.
That said, I don’t feel that change is particularly high on the conservatives agenda. They seem focused on refugee border crossings (as are the liberals).

Last edited: