+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR residency obligation

Abhi375in

Jun 16, 2020
Hi,
I landed and completed formalities in July 2015 and received card with validity period mentioned on it as Sep 2020. Due financial obligation, I couldn't meet the residency obligations. Now I'm moving in August 2020 to Canada with my family.

Need assistance in below urgently:

My card will expire in Sep and hence I'm travelling in July or August ( before expiry). Please have your views, if this may have any issue with the Border Department?
Also wanted to know if the employers ( mainly bank) ask for valid PR card as background check, if yes, how to address this as my card will be renewed only after I complete 2 years of living within Canada?
Also I included surname in my Son's passport but PR card is having the old name, will this create any issue at Border? I will carry the both passport ( old and new).

Regards

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Hi,
I landed and completed formalities in July 2015 and received card with validity period mentioned on it as Sep 2020. Due financial obligation, I couldn't meet the residency obligations. Now I'm moving in August 2020 to Canada with my family.

My card will expire in Sep and hence I'm travelling in July or August ( before expiry). Please have your views, if this may have any issue with the Border Department?
Also wanted to know if the employers ( mainly bank) ask for valid PR card as background check, if yes, how to address this as my card will be renewed only after I complete 2 years of living within Canada?
Also I included surname in my Son's passport but PR card is having the old name, will this create any issue at Border? I will carry the both passport ( old and new).

Regards
There is still a chance you will be reported for not complying with RO, no one can say how likely that is.

In my experience, my valid PR card was required for banks and to get a health card. You should go to the different banks websites to find out what ID they require.

Yes, the PR card having a different name may be an issue, the airline may not allow him to board the plane because the PR card has a different name. You are required to ensure the name in the passport and PR card are the same.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hi,

Regards
1.- your PR Card is still valid, I don't believe you would have any trouble but you have lived almost 5 years out of Canada, the border officer could say something or report you to immigration. please, renew your PR Card in 3 years not 2 or just apply for citizenship.
2.-within Canada you don't need a valid PR Card at all, licence driver only
3.-the airliner could have troubles
4.- good luck

Abhi375in

Jun 16, 2020
Hi Mpsqra,

I really appreciate your response.

As you did mention that border officers may ask something, pls suggest how to prepare for that one (the response should be verbal or should I carry written document)? What could be the appropriate answer as this will help me think in that direction? I'm sure they will ask the reason for delay in landing at the port.

For airline, I'll carry the old and new passport and in addition, I've sworn affidavit signed by me and issued by Indian embassy confirming that both names belong to one person.
Regards

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hi Mpsqra,

I really appreciate your response.

As you did mention that border officers may ask something, pls suggest how to prepare for that one (the response should be verbal or should I carry written document)? What could be the appropriate answer as this will help me think in that direction? I'm sure they will ask the reason for delay in landing at the port.

For airline, I'll carry the old and new passport and in addition, I've sworn affidavit signed by me and issued by Indian embassy confirming that both names belong to one person.
Regards
my pleasure
1.- the officer might ask what you did and what are you going to do. just verbal, but take with you all the documents that can probe you will be in Canada very long time.
2.- I thing it would be fine
3.- Stay in Canada 2-3 years, then apply for PR Card, not before
0.- just in case, apply for US visitor visa for Canada-US travel with your family.
good luck

Abhi375in

Jun 16, 2020
Thanks, Mpsqra.

1. In order to demonstrate that I'm going to stay longer in Canada --- I can show my resignation letter with the Company/ settlement plan(verbal discussion) / flat booked online for rent/ long list of luggage items that I'm carrying with me and School leaving certificate of children, etc. Please suggest if I'm on the right track.
2. The Canadian Embassy of my present country wrote to me today that please share your child's bio page ( old and new) for their record update in case the airline authority asks for the same. I think they are right and I should submit it. Please suggest.
3. We do have a US visit visa. please let me know how this can help us in my above case?
4. For Health card also the expired PR will play any role? I do have SIN number-letter, issued in 2015.
5. For school admission - again the same, if the expired PR card will play any negative role?

I'm really sorry for asking all these as I'm traveling with family and that too during this COVID outbreak.

Regards

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Thanks, Mpsqra.

1. In order to demonstrate that I'm going to stay longer in Canada --- I can show my resignation letter with the Company/ settlement plan(verbal discussion) / flat booked online for rent/ long list of luggage items that I'm carrying with me and School leaving certificate of children, etc. Please suggest if I'm on the right track.
2. The Canadian Embassy of my present country wrote to me today that please share your child's bio page ( old and new) for their record update in case the airline authority asks for the same. I think they are right and I should submit it. Please suggest.
3. We do have a US visit visa. please let me know how this can help us in my above case?
4. For Health card also the expired PR will play any role? I do have SIN number-letter, issued in 2015.
5. For school admission - again the same, if the expired PR card will play any negative role?

I'm really sorry for asking all these as I'm traveling with family and that too during this COVID outbreak.

Regards
great
you will have great time in Canada.
I wish you the best
about PR Card, just wait 2-3 years
3-6 months health care just in case

Abhi375in

Jun 16, 2020
There is still a chance you will be reported for not complying with RO, no one can say how likely that is.

In my experience, my valid PR card was required for banks and to get a health card. You should go to the different banks websites to find out what ID they require.

Yes, the PR card having a different name may be an issue, the airline may not allow him to board the plane because the PR card has a different name. You are required to ensure the name in the passport and PR card are the same.
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Please let me know if the PR card is a mandatory document for the background check for the bank? I'm asking for the job purpose and not for opening a bank account.
For name differ in the passport, the Canadian embassy has asked for the passport copies ( old and new) and they will update the record so that airline query on name differ may be addressed.

Thanks

Abhi375in

Jun 16, 2020
great
you will have great time in Canada.
I wish you the best
about PR Card, just wait 2-3 years
3-6 months health care just in case
Thank you for your prompt response.

Please help me to understand how the US Visa will help me? I do have the US Visit Visa.
Also whether the PR card/ expired PR card is a mandatory document for Health Card and school admission?

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Please let me know if the PR card is a mandatory document for the background check for the bank? I'm asking for the job purpose and not for opening a bank account.
For name differ in the passport, the Canadian embassy has asked for the passport copies ( old and new) and they will update the record so that airline query on name differ may be addressed.

Thanks
mandatory, we never know
for bank account, it would be asked for, but we never know
for your name just CORP, ans the bank agent will help you
it is important to have you driver licence from your country,

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa

Please help me to understand how the US Visa will help me? I do have the US Visit Visa.
Also whether the PR card/ expired PR card is a mandatory document for Health Card and school admission?
I meant US visitor visa just for traveling crossing the border,
once you arrive apply for your health care card
it is very important, an address, where you can receive any document or any paper.

devnill

Dec 5, 2015
Hi,
How many days are you breach of the residency obligation by? What reason do you plan to tell the border agent for not returning sooner?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Yes some schools, especially post secondary education, ask you to show your valid PR card.