+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR residency not maintained but valid PR Card

sunireddy

Sep 11, 2012
I have read through the topics before i posted but was not clear. Pardon me if this was answered already.

I sponsored my parents for PR in 2005. Both parents stayed for 2 years in 5 years and got their PR Card extended in December 2010. My dad continued to live in Canada after the PR card extension but my mom had to leave Canada to help my brother with his twin babies.

Can she come in to Canada now as she has valid PR card
OR
Will she have problems when entering canada because they see 5 years back (Oct 2012 back to Oct 2007) and say you haven't stayed 2 years in 5 years and hence not eligible to enter Canada.

Thanks for looking at my question!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is possible that she will be questioned or get a lecture when she enters. She should just be apologetic and tell the truth, that she was helping family. They will most likely just let her in without a problem. Once she is in, she should stay for 2 years so she will meet the requirements again.

Worst case scenario, if she were to stay away so long that she loses her PR, because your father has kept his PR and lives in Canada, he can sponsor her again.

sunireddy

Sep 11, 2012
Thanks Leon for responding!

Since my parents are old almost 60 and may not take the stress at airport if there is any problem. Should I apply for visitor visa and forget the immigration, may be my dad can reapply for her later.

Appreciate if anyone who had similar experience can comment.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sunireddy said:

Since my parents are old almost 60 and may not take the stress at airport if there is any problem. Should I apply for visitor visa and forget the immigration, may be my dad can reapply for her later.

You can not apply for a visit visa for someone who has a valid PR. Just let her enter. With a valid PR card, they must let her enter. Maybe they will not even say anything.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

sunireddy said:

Come on, 60 isn't exactly old.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
PMM said:
Come on, 60 isn't exactly old.
It is if you're 20.

I must agree, from where I'm sitting, it definitely doesn't look old at all. I suspect the OP is just trying to be protective of parents. I'm sure the mother will be fine at the airport.

sunireddy

Sep 11, 2012
Yeah for North American standards, she is not. I am south Indian and for that standard, 60 is old. Also she looks really weak/frail.

So I guess, l will leave to god and let her enter on her PR card.

Thanks all for your replies.

sunireddy

Sep 11, 2012
Just want to post an update,

My mom came last night and they haven't questioned her at all and let her in. Probably because she has still another 3 years validity on her PR card, I don't know.

However I am really very happy and glad to share with you all.

Thanks!

farid-

Apr 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
congratulation! and of course they didn't bug her unnecessary as she still have 3 yrs. validity period.
congrats once again.