+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renunciation and sponsorship

quantized

Aug 11, 2018
Posting on behalf of my wife

I did my landing in June 2016 and have been staying out of Canada(in US). I’m sure that I will not be able to fulfill my PR obligations, hence will need to renounce my PR. My husband applied for his PR after out marriage (March 2018) independently and received a request to send his passport for stamping before May 12th, 2019 . He declared in his application that he is married and I will not accompany him to Canada.

My question is can I renounce my PR now and add myself to his PR before he sends his passport for stamping?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Posting on behalf of my wife

I did my landing in June 2016 and have been staying out of Canada(in US). I’m sure that I will not be able to fulfill my PR obligations, hence will need to renounce my PR. My husband applied for his PR after out marriage (March 2018) independently and received a request to send his passport for stamping before May 12th, 2019 . He declared in his application that he is married and I will not accompany him to Canada.

My question is can I renounce my PR now and add myself to his PR before he sends his passport for stamping?
In theory, yes. However, it's a two stage process.

You must renounce first in order to revert back to being a "Foreign National" and only then can you be added as a dependent on his PR application. You will then need to go through the whole background and security check process, along with a medical examination. Your previous PR status will be irrelevant.

quantized

Aug 11, 2018
In theory, yes. However, it's a two stage process.

You must renounce first in order to revert back to being a "Foreign National" and only then can you be added as a dependent on his PR application. You will then need to go through the whole background and security check process, along with a medical examination. Your previous PR status will be irrelevant.
Thank You @zardoz . They gave only 30 days to send passport to CIC. I will write them a letter explaining my situation and once they confirm I will start the renunciation process.