+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renounce

Jul 7, 2020
Hey people! Not sure who can help me here but I’ll give it a shot anyways.
So in the past I was a Canadian PR as I lived in Canada from when I was 4 until I was 14. I since have lived in Australia and am now 22, it’s very hard to regain my PR status without going through a difficult and almost impossible process. Would it be logical to renounce my PR status, and come to Canada on a working visa, then re-apply as a PR down the line? And Are you able to apply as a PR again after you have renounced?
Thanks guys.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You can reapply to be a PR after you renounce, if you qualift and are invited to apply under an economic program or get married to a Canadian.

araansari

Jul 29, 2020
If I stay in Canada in first 2 out of 5 years and return to another country and then come back like 5-6 years later using a PRTD or the PR expires during that 5-6 years being out of Canada

Can I renounce my PR if I don’t have a plan to move to the country now due to COVID-19 travel restriction and limited job opportunities and apply for PR like 3-4 years later when I am ready to move

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
If I stay in Canada in first 2 out of 5 years and return to another country and then come back like 5-6 years later using a PRTD or the PR expires during that 5-6 years being out of Canada

Can I renounce my PR if I don’t have a plan to move to the country now due to COVID-19 travel restriction and limited job opportunities and apply for PR like 3-4 years later when I am ready to move
You can renounce anytime you choose, with no specific reasons. Keep in mind age plays a large factor in immigration programs.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

After the first 5 years you must meet the 2 out of 5 years on any day. It is not another 5 year block of time. You would need a valid H&C reason to get PRTD and after 5-6 years that would be tough.

mapleleaf987

Jun 29, 2017
Hey people! Not sure who can help me here but I’ll give it a shot anyways.
So in the past I was a Canadian PR as I lived in Canada from when I was 4 until I was 14. I since have lived in Australia and am now 22, it’s very hard to regain my PR status without going through a difficult and almost impossible process. Would it be logical to renounce my PR status, and come to Canada on a working visa, then re-apply as a PR down the line? And Are you able to apply as a PR again after you have renounced?
Thanks guys.
not sure what you mean by " it’s very hard to regain my PR status without going through a difficult and almost impossible process"
were any of your parents canadian citizen? and no, past renounciations does not mean your future applications would be rejected but you will need solid evidence to prove you now wish to settle in canada long-term.

jyos

Oct 14, 2020
After the first 5 years you must meet the 2 out of 5 years on any day. It is not another 5 year block of time. You would need a valid H&C reason to get PRTD and after 5-6 years that would be tough.
Hi, I would like to know what the process is to renounce PR voluntarily from outside Canada. Also, how long does the whole process take?

Further, would this affect my chances of securing a Student Visa in the future?