+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renewal

drzeina

May 8, 2009
Hi All

i landed in July 2009 and stayed for a month, then due to personal reason i could only return to canada on July 2012 which will leave me two years to renew my PR. i have opened a consultation company but as my business connections are not in canada, i had to travel frequently to promote it, sometimes for more than two months in a row.Managed to get a very good contract with a multinational company to perform business consultations/training for their opperations in interantional markets(that would mean 3 weeks at a time, six times a year)
my Question is: i am already short on the two years required for PR renewal and accepting this great opportunity will mean that I will be in a much worse situation and basically i will not be able to travel to conduct business except till July 2014. My family is here since July 2012 and i have the documentation for my company since opening in July 2012. any solutions?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
No solutions. You are greatly at risk of losing your PR. You should read the many threads on here that discuss the permanent residency obligation requirements. Your answers are there.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You risk that at some point when entering Canada, you could be reported for not meeting the residency requirements. If that happens you will have to appeal for your PR. Having started your own business overseas will not be seen as humane and compassionate grounds for keeping your PR. However, your personal reasons from 2009 to 2012 could be seen as good reasons depending on what they were.

If you are not reported on entry, you will have problems travelling after your PR card expires. As long as your wife meets the residency requirements and lives in Canada, you could renounce your PR and she could sponsor you for a new one. If you opt to do that, you will not be a PR after you renounce your PR status and as such, you would not have health care in Canada and if you want to stay, you would have to apply for visitor status until you get your PR again. Sponsoring you again will cost $1040 plus your medicals.

drzeina

May 8, 2009
Hi leon
by the time my PR expires i will be 14 month in canada, if i stay without any travel till i have the required residency obligation, can i then apply for renewal? will i face any problems staying in the country?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
A PR card is not required to remain in Canada, only to return to it after leaving. While in theory, you could be reported at any time for not meeting the residency obligations, unless you rattle CIC's or CBSA's cages, you are extremely unlikely to be reported. Basically, keep your head down, don't travel, don't sponsor and don't reapply for a PR card until you are clear of the shortfall.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Agreed. Just go about your daily life, don't travel and don't apply for the renewal until you have 730 days in the past 5 years.