+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal - Urgent Help

dado

Nov 24, 2009
Hi People - Could any of you please give me an advice on my situation? I just received a letter from CIC asking me to pick up my renewal PR card from a local CIC office (they gave me 30 days to pick it up). My current PR is still valid (expires Nov. 2011). My problem is that in the PR renewal application, my absences (I mostly travelled to US) were not accurate because I didn't have the old passport (lost). Note that when I applied for the PR renewal I had a new passport. But I can say, out of the past five years, I spent 4.5 years either in Canada or in the US with my husband (Canadian citizen working in the US) and daughter (also canadian). I can prove I lived with my husband and daugher in the US and I have a photocopy of part of the old passport with few departure/entrance stamps. Do you think they will give me hard time because I don't have the old passport? If it turns out that they need to question anything or do a RQ, will they hold my old (valid) PR for any reason? Please advice. Thanks in advance.

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Really, the only way to find out is to go pick up your card. Explain to them as it is. This whole PR business can be subjective and depends on who you meet there... just pray... you seem to be OK though since you are married to a Canadian Citz.

Just out of curiosity, when did you apply for your PR renewal? How long did it take for your processing?

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kami87 said:
Hi Leon/Alabaman and other experts,

Could you please tell me what they ask in residency questionnaire?

waiting for your earliest reply
Residency questionaire is issued to you if you apply for renewal and they don't believe you. That is if they want more evidence. Basically everything they ask in the renewal form plus some. Photocopies of bank statements, leases, hospital visits, passports etc. Anything that proves that you were in Canada

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dado said:
Thanks Alabaman. I applied for renewal in May and received the letter last week.
Did you do urgent processing or just regular application? Thanks.

BenX

Aug 12, 2011
Hi Leon/and other valued Patrons,

Need your advise please. Our PR cards will be expiring in April 2012. We (wife and daughter) have lived in Canada since becoming PR for about 350 days till date. Since I lost my job in Canada last Aug `11 and since my mother-in-law was very sick and living alone, we had no option but to return back to our native country. I have now got a job in Canada and plan to return back by 20th August 2011. My concerns are :
1) Since I will not be able to meet my residency obligation will I have a problem to enter the country? (will I be questioned at the POE even though I will be having a valid PR Card?)
2) If I can enter, then I plan to set up home and bring my family sometime in Nov/Dec`11 (since my wife has to still take care of her mother who is a widow as well as make arrangements for her to stay when she return to Canada). At that time, will my wife & daughter be allowed to enter the country and stay with me? As I intend to bring them back with me, will I have any problems to enter again?
Appreciate your advise please on how best to proceed. Thanks!!!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They could have problems if the immigration officer believes that they can not meet the residency requirements. From what other people have said, they usually seem to be let in without being reported but the immigration officer can also decide to report them in which case they will still be allowed to enter but they will have to appeal to keep their PR. A reason for an appeal could be that they had to be away before of the sick mother for example.

If they are allowed to enter without a problem, it would be best for all of you that you do not try to renew your PR cards until you have 730 days in Canada in the previous 5 years. This means you must stay in Canada after your PR expires until you can renew.

If you apply before you have 730 days, you will have to prove why you couldn't stay like the sick mother for example and your case could go either way.

Yating

Sep 16, 2011
Hello,

My father is facing the similar situation. I throughout away his old passport two years ago. And when he went to pickup his renewed PR card, they didn't give it to him because my dad does not have his old passport. Would you mind of sharing your experience on how you got your ewnewed PR card at the end without presenting your old passport?

Thank you,

Ting

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Having lived in Latin America for years, I have leaned to NEVER throw out documents -- especially old passports. You never know when they will be required.

Regarding the need to show you have been in Canada the required 730 days in the previous 5 years, I suggest making it easy on the Visa Officer reviewing your case. Make up a spreadsheet showing each trip you took out of Canada. Show the date you left, the date you returned, and where you went. Then cite the passport page that shows the stamps for this trip. That way the Visa Officer can quickly see the time you spent out of Canada. If you also offer proof of time spent IN Canada, the VO will do the math and conclude that you were in Canada the requisite time.

Arun_help

Jul 28, 2012
Hi Kami,

Can you please update us, did you finally get your card? what happened.

I am in a similar situation as yours....

Thanks,

phina1970

Jun 21, 2012
Leona and Others' I thought is is only thelast 5 years of residency they looks at, not the 2st 5 yrs and every 5 yr period after. Ihave been a pr since 1997, I will be applying in a couple of years and I'm expecting them to look at only the last 5years. I hope those, like myself whohave been a PR a long time and are applying for their PR card for the 1st time-don't get the RQ. This sounds complicated.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
phina1970 said:
Leona and Others' I thought is is only thelast 5 years of residency they looks at, not the 2st 5 yrs and every 5 yr period after. Ihave been a pr since 1997, I will be applying in a couple of years and I'm expecting them to look at only the last 5years. I hope those, like myself whohave been a PR a long time and are applying for their PR card for the 1st time-don't get the RQ. This sounds complicated.
They only ask for the past 5 years, they do not care about what happened before that.