+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR RENEWAL STILL PROCESSING AFTER A YEAR

Orinokoblue

Apr 5, 2016
Please I'm hoping someone can help.

Both myself and my husband sent in our PR cards for renewal in April 2015. At the end of May he had his back as one of the signatures he had done digitally and they wanted it in pen. A few months later I got my new PR card back. We had heard nothing about his then in October last year had an email to say they are processing his. Since then there has been nothing, he has just been demoted in his job as he is unable to freely travel to the US and if we don't get this sorted out soon, things could get more difficult.

He did leave the country in January as you can do this if you return in a private car across a land boarder. As we do not have a car we paid a friend to collect and bring him over. This meant he had to take more flights and the trip was difficult.

I feel it is beyond belief that there is no one you can talk to on the phone to look into this, and that they cannot be held accountable for going over the maximum time stated.

Any advice greatly appreciated

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
Orinokoblue said:

Both myself and my husband sent in our PR cards for renewal in April 2015. At the end of May he had his back as one of the signatures he had done digitally and they wanted it in pen. A few months later I got my new PR card back. We had heard nothing about his then in October last year had an email to say they are processing his. Since then there has been nothing, he has just been demoted in his job as he is unable to freely travel to the US and if we don't get this sorted out soon, things could get more difficult.

He did leave the country in January as you can do this if you return in a private car across a land boarder. As we do not have a car we paid a friend to collect and bring him over. This meant he had to take more flights and the trip was difficult.

I feel it is beyond belief that there is no one you can talk to on the phone to look into this, and that they cannot be held accountable for going over the maximum time stated.

Can not understand what is your question looks like suspicious?

Orinokoblue

Apr 5, 2016
Suspicious?

I am asking if anyone knows any channels we can go through when the PR Renewal still says processing after nearly a year?

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
How long did you stay in Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
When you say that you met the requirement - were you at or close to 730 days? Or were you way over? Cases where someone is at or close to 730 can sometimes drag out much longer while CIC verifies that RO was in fact met. Did you travel quite a bit during the last five year period?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Orinokoblue said:

There appear to be many PRs in similar circumstances. And who are similarly frustrated with the lack of direct recourse for inordinately long delays in processing PR card applications.

Questions about his circumstances arise because there is some correlation between delays and potential issues or concerns that IRCC might have regarding the PR's admissibility, usually related to proof of compliance with the PR Residency Obligation.

There appears to be an impression that a PR's presence for 731 days within the preceding five years guarantees entitlement to a new PR card or otherwise fully satisfies questions about compliance with the PR RO. However, the burden of proof is on the PR. Just being present in Canada is not enough. The PR may be required to actually prove it. And the IRCC process to verify the PR has proven compliance can indeed be a lot longer than what is reasonable, let alone what one might expect.

In the meantime, while there is no direct recourse except potentially Mandamus, which is a very long-shot at best, there are a number of things the PR can do which might help . . . these will not necessarily help, but they might:

-- calls to IRCC call centre
-- applications for Access to Information (ATIP request for personal information)
-- request for MP to make inquiry as to reason for the delay
-- demand letter to IRCC requesting action on the application
-- seek the assistance of a reputable, experienced immigration lawyer

I do not know but I also wonder whether individuals in these circumstances can simply make a new application for a PR card, based on current facts. For those who have been present in Canada at least the vast majority of time since the previous application, perhaps this could lead to a better more timely result. (I would like to see some personal reports from individuals who have tried this approach.)

Part of the problem in getting recourse is that as far as the government is concerned, not having a PR card has minimal significance. The PR remains a PR. There is no requirement to possess a currently valid PR card. And even relative to traveling abroad, a PR without a PR card can obtain a PR Travel Document so long as the PR can prove compliance with the PR RO.

Orinokoblue

Apr 5, 2016
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. There are some useful points there that we will follow up on.

My husband was out of Canada for about 600 days, we landed got our PR but then we were in the US for a while for his job. He will have to go back to the office again this month and we will try to do what we did before by paying someone to collect him from the US in a private car. Less than ideal but at least it is possible.

Orinokoblue

Apr 5, 2016
Emailed the PR Office to find out what was happening a we are coming unto a year.. 20 days it took them to reply. The reply, your PR card is being processed.. We know that from the website.. All this along with do not email again. It is disgusting that there is no way they can be held accountable for messing up peoples lives. :mad: