+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renewal question

DreamMagii

Jul 11, 2012
Hello, my PR card expired some time ago, while i was in-country, without me realizing. I am now 6 months away from achieving my 730 days threshold to submit for a renewal. Should i hold off from submitting federal Taxation so that i avoid flagging in the federal immigration system, with an alert showing up that i have remained in-country after my PR card expiry, and get issued a removal order? I just want a PR card renewal with no delays or appeals or disputes. To tax, or not to tax, that is the question?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You can be in the country and have an expired PR card, there is nothing wrong with that.

You cannot be outside of the country with an expired PR card and try to get back in.

File your taxes, there is no issue.

DreamMagii

Jul 11, 2012
That is a relief to know. So there is zero risk of my status flagging an alert due to the expired card?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If you're in Canada, you don't even need a PR card. You could have it expired for sixteen years and have no issues.

If you are in Canada, have not met your RO, there are a few things you should not do:

- Sponsor a family member for PR (this triggers a residency review)
- Attempt to renew your PR card before you meet the RO (this triggers a residency review)
- Leave the country and request a PR Travel Document (this triggers a residency review)

Filing your taxes does not trigger a residency review.