+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal Question?

keith6661

Oct 14, 2016
I currently live in NC, USA. Out of the past 5 years Ive lived in Canada for 3 and I wanted to move back to in July now that Im 18. Im visiting in May for about a week but my PR card also expires around the same time. Im assuming when I visit in May I shouldnt have any issues because Im just visiting but when I fly back in July will I run into issues since Im trying to move back and my PR card is expired? What can I do right now to prevent any problems?

HamiltonApplicant

Apr 3, 2017
Hamilton
Visa Office......
Munich, Germany
App. Filed.......
Jan 2007
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Jan 2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
May 2010
LANDED..........
25-11-2010
If you are eligible for visa free travel, you will have not problem; else, the airline would not allow you to board the plane without a valid PR card....

R

rish888

Hey There,

Firstly and most importantly, you have met the 730 residency obligation.(because you lived in Canada for 3 years.) This is the most important and makes your situation easy.

So to enter Canada, if you are traveling by commercial transport into Canada (air, bus, rail, etc) then you need a VALID PR CARD.

If you are traveling by pedestrian crossing or private car, you can enter Canada with your expired PR card with no issue (though processing may take a few extra minutes and they may make you go to secondary.) Once in Canada, you can apply for a PR card.

If you want to travel by commercial transport and your PR card is expired, you will need to apply for a PR Travel Document (issued by a Canadian Embassy/Consulate) However, going in by road is just way easier and more hassle free.

Just remember as a Canadian PR, you PR card, expired or not is proof of your status. Once your status is established, IO's, by law, must allow you into Canada without exception.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.

keith6661

Oct 14, 2016
Ive heard that going by land would be my best bet. Im willing to do this of course but Im just curious what to expect when I get taken to secondary at the border? Appreciate the reply time though. Booking the bus trip right now.

R

rish888

Hey Keith, you cannot go by bus if you don't have a valid PR card. Bus is commercial transport.

You would need to go by car, if you don't have one you can get a rental. Alternatively, you can cross by foot on Rainbow/Peace bridge and take a bus from the other side.

Given you complied with your residency obligation and your card barely expired, you most likely will not go to secondary.

If you go to secondary the officer will ask if you complied with your RO, best to have some proof of this, and will advise you apply for a PR card ASAP. This shouldn't take long.

Note: As per Canadian law, the moment it is verified that an individual seeking entry is a PR, they must be allowed entry into Canada immediately. Secondary will be to see if you met you RO, but this is unlikely. If you do go to secondary just answer the questions, and you shall be on your way in no time.

keith6661

Oct 14, 2016
I had no idea I would not be able to get in through bus as well. So if I took a taxi or an Uber across the border then Id be ok? And youre providing a lot of useful info I greatly appreciate it.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
keith6661 said:
I had no idea I would not be able to get in through bus as well. So if I took a taxi or an Uber across the border then Id be ok? And youre providing a lot of useful info I greatly appreciate it.
It's up to the individual taxi or uber driver if they wanted to cross the border with you. To some it may be a huge hassle and they may decline, or they may charge you a separate fee.

keith6661

Oct 14, 2016
Well my plan was to bus to Detroit and then Uber across the border. Im assuming if you pick up a passenger from a Greyhound station so close to the border you'd be prepared to cross it but youre correct its up to them solely

keith6661

Oct 14, 2016
rish888 said:
Given you complied with your residency obligation and your card barely expired, you most likely will not go to secondary.

If you go to secondary the officer will ask if you complied with your RO, best to have some proof of this, and will advise you apply for a PR card ASAP. This shouldn't take long.
And worst case scenario is I end up going to secondary. What would be good proof of having me meeting the RO? I still have my social insurance number, and my old high school ID from grade 9. Is the type of proof youre talking about? Again not worried about it just better safe than sorry. Thanks again