+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal Query

knk2015

Mar 24, 2016
Hi,
I have been on and off in Canada and due to which I am not able to meet 730 days criteria for renewal. I will be about 25 days short when my PR will be up for renewal next year. 4
Can someone please advise what are my options? My family, however have more than 730 days, so if we all file renewal together then will that be fine?

TIA

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
I have been on and off in Canada and due to which I am not able to meet 730 days criteria for renewal. I will be about 25 days short when my PR will be up for renewal next year. 4
Can someone please advise what are my options? My family, however have more than 730 days, so if we all file renewal together then will that be fine?

TIA
NO! Each person has to submit a PR Card renewal application and must meet the Residency Obligation to keep PR status.

You should not apply to renew your card until you have met the R.O., unless you have compelling H&C grounds. You have to apply for the card from Canada, so return to Canada before your card expires and hope that the CBSA officer does not issue you a 44(1) for not meeting the R.O., but if you're only short ~ 25 days, the officer may not even question you about it. Impossible to say either way, but you will be allowed to return to Canada if your card is still valid when you return. If your card is expired, you would need to return via the U.S. (at a land PoE in a personal vehicle).

knk2015

Mar 24, 2016
NO! Each person has to submit a PR Card renewal application and must meet the Residency Obligation to keep PR status.

You should not apply to renew your card until you have met the R.O., unless you have compelling H&C grounds. You have to apply for the card from Canada, so return to Canada before your card expires and hope that the CBSA officer does not issue you a 44(1) for not meeting the R.O., but if you're only short ~ 25 days, the officer may not even question you about it. Impossible to say either way, but you will be allowed to return to Canada if your card is still valid when you return. If your card is expired, you would need to return via the U.S. (at a land PoE in a personal vehicle).
Thank you for quick reply. I am in Canada now, so are you saying I would have to file a new PR application and would have to go through the points verification and the same process again? Or did I misinterpret it?

Robin220

May 15, 2023
Hello Everyone.....i applied h and c in April 2023 under best interest of child , how long usually take to get AOR ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for quick reply. I am in Canada now, so are you saying I would have to file a new PR application and would have to go through the points verification and the same process again? Or did I misinterpret it?
No. It means you should remain in Canada without leaving until you have at least 730 residency days in the last five years and only apply to renew your PR card then.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will be applying for a new PR Card, NOT applying for PR status again.

The application is pretty simple, but you do have to list each and every absence from Canada for the 5 year period preceding the day you submit the application. This cathces may PRs off guard as they have no idea they need to provide detailed (and accurate) travel history from/to Canada. Even a day trip across a land border needs to be noted, so hopefully you do have this information.

The only requirement to get a renewed card, is meeting the Residency Obligation.

knk2015

Mar 24, 2016
No. It means you should remain in Canada without leaving until you have at least 730 residency days in the last five years and only apply to renew your PR card then.
Thank you for your reply. By the time my current PR card expires then I won't be able to meet 730 days and it will take another month to complete minimum 730 days requirement, so can I stay on expired PR card and work as well?

knk2015

Mar 24, 2016
You will be applying for a new PR Card, NOT applying for PR status again.

The application is pretty simple, but you do have to list each and every absence from Canada for the 5 year period preceding the day you submit the application. This cathces may PRs off guard as they have no idea they need to provide detailed (and accurate) travel history from/to Canada. Even a day trip across a land border needs to be noted, so hopefully you do have this information.

The only requirement to get a renewed card, is meeting the Residency Obligation.
Thank you for your reply. What will be the best time to apply for new PR card, is it near the time I will be completing 5 years from the day I landed 1st time or shall I apply it ahead of time? Also are the numbers of days considered upto the day I apply or will they consider until the end of 5 years?
Does the number of days counter reset after I get my new PR card and shall I go through this via a lawyer or shall I do it myself?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for your reply. What will be the best time to apply for new PR card, is it near the time I will be completing 5 years from the day I landed 1st time or shall I apply it ahead of time? Also are the numbers of days considered upto the day I apply or will they consider until the end of 5 years?
Does the number of days counter reset after I get my new PR card and shall I go through this via a lawyer or shall I do it myself?
Your Residency Obligation to maintain your PR status, is based on a rolling 5 year window. This has nothing to do with when you landed as a PR (unless it's been less than 5 years).

You have to count back 5 years from the day that you submit the application to renew your card and MUST have at least 730 days in Canada, else you're application can be denied...and then you could lose your PR status!

You can live and work in Canada without having a valid PR Card, but do NOT apply to renew until you have at least 730 days (plus a bit extra as a buffer)!

Reactions: knk2015

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your reply. By the time my current PR card expires then I won't be able to meet 730 days and it will take another month to complete minimum 730 days requirement, so can I stay on expired PR card and work as well?
Yes, you can stay and work. I would recommend you wait until you have a few extra weeks before you apply for the renewal. Don't apply right at 730 days.

Reactions: knk2015