+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal Query

PBJ

Jun 26, 2015
HI Members,

I have a question regarding the renewal of my PR.

I received my PR in May 2017, but we (My Wife, Son and I ) landed in Canada on 30th Jan 2020 once I got an offer of employment from a Canadian Company. My role with the company requires a lot of travel to United States very frequently. Considering my travel I do not think I will be able to complete the defined 730 days in Canada which are required for the PR renewal. However, my wife and son are staying put in Canada and would complete the required duration.

So my question is that does my time outside of Canada, while being on the payroll of a Canadian Company count towards my residency Obligation?

Regards
PBJ

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
HI Members,

I have a question regarding the renewal of my PR.

I received my PR in May 2017, but we (My Wife, Son and I ) landed in Canada on 30th Jan 2020 once I got an offer of employment from a Canadian Company. My role with the company requires a lot of travel to United States very frequently. Considering my travel I do not think I will be able to complete the defined 730 days in Canada which are required for the PR renewal. However, my wife and son are staying put in Canada and would complete the required duration.

So my question is that does my time outside of Canada, while being on the payroll of a Canadian Company count towards my residency Obligation?

Regards
PBJ
No which is why one needs to consider the possibility of business travel when arriving close to the 3 year mark. You will need to hope you aren’t reported but will likely run into issues when your PR card expires. You won’t be able to fly into Canada without a valid PR card so your only option will be to travel by land border with the US and hope you don’t get reported or not travel once your PR card expires u tio you have a new PR card.

PBJ

Jun 26, 2015
Hi Canuck,
Thank you for your reply.
But in such a scenario what options do I have to get a new PR card once the old ones expire?

Regards
PBJ

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Canuck,
Thank you for your reply.
But in such a scenario what options do I have to get a new PR card once the old ones expire?

Regards
PBJ
In order to get a new PR card, you need to:
1) mail application within Canada;
2) meet the residency obligation of 730 days from the signed date

Otherwise, keep using your expired card / copr at the land border, until you run into issues.

PBJ

Jun 26, 2015
Considering that my wife and son would be able to meet their residency obligation and their PR can be extended
  1. can that be used for my PR extension
  2. OR
  3. Once my wife gets her PR extended can she sponsor me again

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Considering that my wife and son would be able to meet their residency obligation and their PR can be extended
  1. can that be used for my PR extension
  2. OR
  3. Once my wife gets her PR extended can she sponsor me again
The card itself cannot be extended. They need to renew their PR card upon meeting their residency obligation. When you lose your PR status while your wife met her PR residency obligation, then she can sponsor you again.