+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renewal processing time

ryan007

Star Member
Jan 26, 2012
Dear All,
My wife and son applied for their PR card renewal on 27th September 2013.
The issue is wrt a impending trip abroad in mid-March which my wife has to take to settle some property related matters in her country of origin. Would it be safe to proceed with the booking of air tickets? (assuming that she received her renewed PR card by then) which would be ~170 calendar days from the date of the application.
I checked up the status online which indicates the PR renewal is under process. (with a normative timeframe of 86 calendar days for PR renewals).
I was told by a friend of mine here in Canada that PR renewal takes minimum 6 months these days. Is it true ? As this would require me to rebook her tickets in that case (if I go head with the bookings now).
The margin / buffer of days between PR receipt and expected departure date in this case is negative if not minimum.
Please advice.

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello:
I have a question for you that will help me and also a response for your question.

My question: A friend of mine applied for his wife's PR card end of September 2013 and there is no ECas update yet. I think the application was received by the end of september (last week). When were you able to find any update on ECas? His wife has already left the Country assuming that the card will be received by mid January 2014 latest and he can forward the card to his wife to get back into Canada.

My response: Here is an example (my own application):

We received your application for a permanent resident card on November 29, 2012.

We started processing your application on December 20, 2012.

Your request for a permanent resident card was approved on February 3, 2013. Your Permanent resident card will be mailed to you or if quality assurance is required, made available for you to pick up at a CIC office.

So yeah, it doe snot take 6 months - I would say 3 months maximum from the day you drop your application in the mail box,

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ryan007 said:
Hi Sept15,
What is ECas? I need to understand this term to respond to your query.
Hey Ryan,

By ECas I meant the online way to check the status of your application. Here is the link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index-can.asp You will need your wife's Client Id # XXXXXXXX do not leave - between the last and the first four numbers - For example, if your wife's client is 1234-5678, enter it as 12345678, her last name, date of birth, place of birth.... follow the link and you will be okay... you might already know this, only the name is strange... if you do - can you copy and paste the wording used in the online system (just like I did - bolded ones).

Good Luck Ryan.

ryan007

Star Member
Jan 26, 2012
Hi ,
I checked it online yesterday. It said in progress......so am assuming it will take the normal time of +-90 days...

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Based on my information, should take about 1.5 months...once they start to review it.

ryan007

Star Member
Jan 26, 2012
Thanks Sept 15,
Probably of you enter the PR card number of the person whose status you are checking it might help, as I did that for my wife and son as the receipt number was throwing up a message saying the number is not identified in the system.
All the best.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your spouses PR Card renewal is not subject to additional queries or referral to the Local Office/ Sidney Review Unit then your timelines to travel should be ok. Referral can be due to residency concerns and/or quality assurance. If she has a visitor visa exempt passport, US Visa or meets the RO for TD issuance then a return to Canada shouldn't be a major concern if the PR Card is not in hand on travel date.

ryan007

Star Member
Jan 26, 2012
Thanks Msafiri,
We haven't heard from the authorities any query regarding the residency obligation wrt PR, but we did receive a letter concerning their citizenship application asking us to furnish school, work,tax related,bank,medical,community service,etc evidence during their stay in Canada.We did furnish all of the desired information a month back and are awaiting the call for test since it is a year and a half since the application for citizenship was made.....once the requisite number of days stay in Canada were met with a buffer of 20-30 days extra.
I just hope we donot have to go through all of that again concerning PR renewal..... :eek:

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CIC can and does RQ applicants for both Citizenship and PR Card renewal processing - I recall a poster with handle egyo had this issue. I think the risk of PR Card renewal is more of an issue if CIC haven't reviewed the Citizenship RQ documents which seems to be the case for you as no test has been scheduled although one would need to know your entire timeline and Local Office to get an idea of likely total duration to oath. Do you know why you may have been RQd? Have you applied for your GCMS notes to see what the hold up is for citizenship?

ryan007

Star Member
Jan 26, 2012
The RQ was sent to us probably because my family was out of the country for a brief period during their residency in Canada.
Have applied now for the GCMS notes. Wasn't aware of the same, till now. Thanks... :)

am4u2ster

Jan 21, 2013
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Citizenship: I have applied for my citizenship grant, on September-2012, and they started processing my application, on Feb-2013 and no wonder i have received an RQ on Apri-2013 before the citizenship test.
i have called CIC-call center today and the agent advised me your citizenship file is in mississauga office, and RQ file is at St.claire for a further review.

PR Renewal: i have a applied for my PR renewal on 9th September 2013, they have started processing my application on 27th October 2013, still no news or approval on my PR renewal application.
i have called the cic-agent today and they advise me your file is still under review, and your file is still at sydney, they are reviewing your file. it is been over a 3 months of my PR renewal, fraustrating, nothing is happening.

Is there any chances that they have sent me an RQ for Citizenship, do they send me an RQ for PR renewal.

ryan007

Star Member
Jan 26, 2012
Received the PR cards of my wife and son just yesterday via Canada Post.....roughly 4 months since date of application.